If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beta Blocker / Calcium Channel Blocker combination

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Dee Find out more about Dee
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beta Blocker / Calcium Channel Blocker combination

Dylan will be starting a combination of his beta-blocker with a calcium channel blocker (probably verapamil). I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? and what kind of side effects, long-term effects can be expected? and anything else regarding this combination?

His PC talked to us about the necessity of watching his heart rate closesly and the possiblity of needing a pacemaker with this.

Thanx ahead of time!

Dee
    Dee, Mom to Dylan
    (Almost 7 yrs old, HOCM, Endocarditis/Stroke 1/01, Myectomy/Valve Repair 4/04)

for many years I was on Beta blockers alone... last fall I added a calcium channel blocker, I feel much better, but know that verapimil can be tricky so I do watch it carefully. I am a short term "good" story...
    about 12 yrs ago I was taken off beta blockers and put on calcium channel blocker .. that landed me in the ER with a heart rate of 140.... that was then this is now... and all is well.
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Verapimil

After an episode of HCM related A-fib landed me in the hospital 4 years ago I was put on Varapimil along with the beta-blocker I had been on for years. The main side effect I notice is the tendency to get lightheaded more easily. Perhaps I am a bit more easily tired, but that could also be HCM or old age creeping up on me. Since being on this medication regimen and banning caffeine from my life I have had only one minor episode of A-fib, so the control it gives me over erratic heartbeats is certainly better than before. When I have a bout of A-fib my heart rate is very erratic and I am immediately aware that something is way off! So I am pleased to not have that problem.

Hope things go well for your son.
      Peace,
      Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

I have never been on beta blockers and calcium channel blockers at the same time, but I have tried both. I tolerate both meds well, but take the calcium channel blockers because I have asthma and the docs don't want to fool with beta blockers just in case they might make the asthma worse. Good luck to you and Dylan.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi I was on atenolol and verapimil ,but i am also v-paced to compesate obstruction.it just wore me out all the time and everytime i would try to do anything.then after 5 yrs of tinkering with meds and still just going downhill, had cath done and found heart to now be extremely weak. dont know if it was the meds or the pacing . so good luck . well here is my 2 cents but then again even thats for free !!
          Allways remember you cannot control the wind!!
          However you can adjust your sails!!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X