If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Sotalol again

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

heather Find out more about heather
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Sotalol again

After my excitement this weekend my cardiologist has decided I need to start Sotatlol again. Before my a-fib ablation I was on 120mg twice a day. He is starting me on 80mg twice a day. I am stopping the Toprol 50mg twice a day. He did not say anything about me starting it in the hospital. After I brought it home my husband said "aren't you supposed to start that under hospital observation........" I was going to start it tonight. Should I wait? The dr. office is already closed. I have been off of it for well over a year.
    Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Re: Starting Sotalol again

My Sotalol was just increased from 80 to 120mg 2x a day after an ER visit and 24-hour hospital stay. Was let out after 12 hours
    of being on the increase, but EP didn't keep me for that reason, I was having a few short runs of vtach. I have been taking Sotalol for six years with no problems, so he wasn't concerned about the increase and I agree with him.

I have to wonder if you did well on the Sotalol in the past, maybe the doc didn’t think anything of you going back on it. Honestly I
    haven't a clue what you should do and sorry for not being so helpful, but for your peace of mind, maybe you should talk to the doc
    first thing tomorrow before you start back on the med since you have been off it a year already. Hope all goes well for you.

Be well, Janet
    Believe in the goodness of mankind.

Comment

Re: Starting Sotalol again

At the very least Heather, an EKG at the cardiologist office or from a PCP and faxed to the EP/ Cardiologist after 24-48 hours on the sotalol should give the EP a safety check of the margins of your Qt interval. It is important to f/u. I waited to start an increase on a monday so there would be available coverage during the week in the time frame I needed a check and scheduled the EKG with my PCP .. Not sure had I not brought it up, if my EP would have even said anything. Scarey that they seem so busy/ distracted at times that the patient has to remind them.
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Working...
      X