If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pain Management

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

AuntyK Diagnosed with HCM in 2003. Myectomy at Mayo by Dr. Schaff on 6/11/2009. ICD implanted on 6/15/2009 Find out more about AuntyK
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain Management

Post-surgical pain management question here. I've been prescribed oxycodone for pain and Tylenol extra-strength (OTC). I'm taking only 2 oxy's per day, 8 is the max. I'm leery about continuing the narcotic, but have pain and heaviness from the ICD incision (one-week out). How have others handled pain? Does the ICD incision and heaviness just take time to fade away? Your comments please.
    Bypass 1x and myectomy (Schaff) performed on 6/11/2009. ICD implanted on 6/15/2009 (Boston Scientific). All procedures at Mayo. Diagnosed with HOCM in 2003.

Re: Pain Management

As for the ICD & Pain - It should be subsiding by now & I would assume the Tylenol to be sufficient. You didn't mention any pain related to the Myectomy, but its not uncommon to want something stronder,expecially at nightime. Everyone is different when it comes to meds. It does take a while for you to adjust to having "your little friend" installed, but in no time you'll forget its there.
    Marc
    Diagnosed @ 48
    Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
    Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
    AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
    After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
    Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

If there is no sign of infection, hot, red puss, my favorite pain control is Extra Strength Tylenol and an ice pack at the site of pain. Ice packs are my best post surgery pain relief.
      Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
      ICD&Pacemaker 1996
      Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
      Mom of Kaye.

Comment

You arent over doing it are you ?!
        The heaviness fades . I think it took a while for me. If it's not infected...just give it time. A year from now you wont even notice.
        Again....dont over do it, Auntie !
        Take care
        peace
        mariab

Comment

Kathy,
          Having had TWO surgeries within a WEEK, YOU are likely going to take longer to heal. Yes, the pain and heaviness does take time, but YOUR pain may take longer to subside than someone who had only one surgery. (Believe me, I remember it well -- especially the ICD discomfort when riding in a car.) I would not be afraid to take the narcotics if you're having pain; just make sure you also get enough fiber -- don't wait til you need it (most fresh fruits, prunes, prune juice, bran) in your diet, as straining is not fun post-myectomy post-ICD surgery, which you may have already discovered.

Also, make sure you're getting plenty of sleep -- which is when your body will do most of its healing.

Keep hanging in there; it does get better. Keep us posted.
          Theresa
          Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. I have the ice packs on now. Ahh, feels good. No, I'm not overdoing it, thanks for addressing the issue. I am going to move away from the oxy and stick with the Tylenol ES. Yes, having two surgeries does increase the impact, I appreciate your reminder. Thanks also for the fiber reminder. Fortunately, it is a great time of year to enjoy the fresh fruits and vegies. The medical providers have been clear on that issue.

All the advice and support you provided in a few posts is amazing. Thank you!!
            Bypass 1x and myectomy (Schaff) performed on 6/11/2009. ICD implanted on 6/15/2009 (Boston Scientific). All procedures at Mayo. Diagnosed with HOCM in 2003.

Comment

Kathy,

I found that it helped to hug a pillow to my chest, almost anytime--sleeping, sitting and reading, or riding in the car (between me and the seatbelt). I hardly used the narcotics; partly because I didn't feel like I needed them and partly because I didn't like the whole constipation/softener pills thing. I alternated tylenol and ibuprofen and was fine.

I found the incision pain took a long time to fade away. It was not severe--after two weeks it was a very tolerable low level. But I continued to feel it up to a year out, as an occasional minor annoyance. The doctor told me that's because my scar turned into a keloid (i.e., a big fat scar). Not everyone's does.

If you're worried about that, I hear that vitamin E cream on it can prevent keloid growth. (Or, if you want to be really aggressive about it, you can get topical vitamin E injections from a dermatologist.) I didn't bother with that, but maybe others here know something about it.

Best of luck!

Bruce
              Diagnosed (w/obstruction) 2003 at 39
              Alcohol Septal Ablation Feb. 2006
              Myectomy April 2007 Cleveland
              Pacemaker dependent (no ICD)
              Thankful and doing fine

Comment

Bruce, Thanks for the tip on the Vitamin E. All at the hospital were clear in directing me to not use creams, lotions on the incisions. Did you wait until the incisions were clean (scabs clear)? Thanks, Kathy

Comment

Aunty K,
                  Do not put creams or lotions on your incision until it is very well healed. No scab, no little openings, nothing. I think Bruce is talking about down the road.

I had some very bad keloid areas of my chest incision. I used to massage it multiple times daily to try to stretch it out. I itched almost constantly. I was at the dermatologist office and showed it to the MD and was told that Vit E has a placebo effect (if that) and that other things such as Mederma really don't work either. I had steroids injected into the scar and it softened it up and I hardly ever itch anymore. I was told that in order for this to be effective, it must be done within a year of developing the keloid. The injections can be done multiple times, about a month apart. Yes, it hurts, but certainly nothing like a fresh incision.

Good luck !!
                  Onward and Upward !

Diagnosed 4/07 HCM with fixed & dynamic obstruction
                  Myectomy with resected cordonae tendonae 4/08 CCF
                  ICD 10/08

Comment

I didn't do it, so I don't have first hand experience. (I don't really care about how the scar looks, and even the very minor discomfort went away after a year.) You should wait till it's healed, then ask a dermatologist.

I do remember my doctor saying there was something that a dermatologist could inject. I thought it was vitamin E but maybe going by Linda's account it was steroids. Ask the dermatologist, or at least your PCP.

Sorry to have left out the "wait till it's healed" part. Good luck!
                    Diagnosed (w/obstruction) 2003 at 39
                    Alcohol Septal Ablation Feb. 2006
                    Myectomy April 2007 Cleveland
                    Pacemaker dependent (no ICD)
                    Thankful and doing fine

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X