If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My husband

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Dolly (Andrew's mom) Find out more about Dolly (Andrew's mom)
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My husband

Hi all,

I have been absent from this forum for a couple months due to health issues with my husband. I have been trying to catch up on all the posts the past few days. My best wishes to all who are going through trying times right now.

In the begining of June my husband Bob had another mini-stroke. After having several in the past few years he underwent many tests this past winter where it was discovered he had PFO, mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation and a atrial septal anerurysim. After this latest incident he also started having chest pains. He underwent a heart cath on June 28th and nothing additional was found.

While we were still concerned with his heart issues Bob suffered a horrible accident while at work (3M). On July 5th he got caught in a winder/roller machine at 3M. His hand got sucked in and it rolled his arm up with the material up to his shoulder and head. At that point it was either going to sever his arm or take his whole body in. He was thrashing about with his feet trying to keep himself from being pulled in the rest of the way when one of his feet accidently hit an emergency shut-off under the machine.

He was transfered from our local hospital to a trauma center in St. Paul MN. His arm had been "rolled up" every six inches. Where there was no natural bend in his arm, it snapped in order to continue rolling up with the material. He ended up with 4 major breaks in his arm. One at his wrist, two in his forearm, and one in his upper arm. All 4 breaks were completely in half and displaced. He underwent surgery at the trauma center in hopes to piece his arm back together and save some use of it. He had 66 staples and some very large incisions on that arm! He now has four large plates in his left arm and we have no idea yet what the outcome will be and if he will regain use of it..

He also suffered injuries to his neck which have caused nerve problems in his opposite arm and hand. Currently he is home and starting the very long process of healing.The thumb and pointer finger on his injured arm are not working and he may need more surgery for that. They are still trying to learn how serious the neck/nerve injury is and he has more appointments next week for that. His "good" hand continues to be numb and tingly and he has shooting pains down his whole arm when he tilts his head a certain way.

It is going to be a LONG haul back from this. The hardest part through this is being so alone. With all of Andrew's health problems and surgeries I always had Bob by my side. My best friend, my buddy, my support. He was always with me in the hospitals, meetings, etc. I always had Bob to talk to and cry on. And when I was just too tired he was always there to help out, not only with Andrew's numerous surgeries and post-surgery care, but with all the household chores, shopping, property maintenance, ect..........now it is just me trying to take it all on.
    Last edited by Dolly (Andrew's mom); 07-21-2006, 11:36 PM.
    Dolly~
    mom to Andrew(HCM) 21 years old
    Diagnosed \'95 age 5
    Myectomy \'96 age 6
    ICD implant \'99 age 9
    First ICD shock (X2) \'04
    ICD replacement surgery \'05 age 15

*And aunt to 7 year old Kenny who had HCM and suffered sudden death in gym class. (2/20/87 - 4/6/94)

Re: My husband

Dolly, I am so sorry to hear your news. I hope and pray for healing for your husband. Remember do the things that matter most as far daily activities and let the rest go. You can only do so much. I will keep all of you in my prayers.
    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
    Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Dolly,

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your husband and family. Please feel free to come here and vent whenever you need to. We are here for you.

If there is anything we can do, please do not hesitate to call the office.

Kelly
      Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.

Comment

Dolly - I'm keeping you, your husband and Andrew in our prayers. Please keep us updated and let Bob know just how many people are pulling for him thru this very difficult time. Best wishes on the upcoming appts. Linda

Comment

Dolly

I will keep you and your family in my prayers, My sister went through what you are going through her husband got his hand caught in a saw at work and he has had nine surgeries to try to get some use back, so hang in there they can work miracles these days

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Dolly, Oh my GOODNESS!!! What a terrible ordeal you guys have been through. I can not even imagine the fear that your husbdand went through in that horrible accident. Thank God he did not lose his arm. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I pray that he will have a great recovery. It does sound like it will be a long road ahead. As far as feeling all alone, I know what you mean. Being a single mom, dealing with Emily's accident was so tough then right after that James being diagnosed and all the problems he had. I had no one to lean on and felt like everything was all on me. Taking care of the kids, our home, my job when I could, and somewhere in there me as well. But you will be amazed at how tough you are. I was. I pulled up my boot straps and just took one step at a time and didn't think about tomorrow or next week, just deal with what's going on today. Hang in there and know if I can do anything way over here in Georgia I will. I am praying for you and thinking about your whole family! Janet
            My son James, Age 18, diagnosed in January, 05. AICD - 4/5/05 at Tufts NEMC. Myectomy -1/25/06 at NEMC. Currently having heart failure issues. James' father and uncle both have HCM and AICDs. James dad, Carlton, had Myectomy at Cleveland on 4/10/06. James Medtronic recalled lead fractured 5/26/11. Had Biventricular Cardiac Resynchronization AICD put in on 6/3/11 Emory Midtown.

Comment

Dolly - I am so sorry to hear about the hard times that your family has been through lately. I hope that your husband will recover quickly.

Thinking of you,

Cynthia
              Daughter of Father with HCM
              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about the terrible time your family is having right now. I guess it puts my one purple smashed finger to shame (no more complaining for me). I'll be praying for you and your family, as these trying days pass I am hoping that your husband's recovery will be not too much more tramatizing for him he has been through enough.

Peace unto you and your family,
                Nikki
                ------
                "I will live each day with the love and help of my family and friends."

Diagnosed w/ HOCM Feb. '05, ICD April '05, Myectomy Dec. 13th, 2005 at NEMC
                Wire fractured, ICD and wire replced on 10/17/2008.
                Adopted in 1979, no medical history passed on other than born with a murmur and leaky valve.
                Married 9 years to the greatest husband that a woman could want.
                Mother to a wonderful 9 year old boy. So far he is negative for signs of HCM.

Comment

Dolly, dear Dolly,
                  I go crazy on the days I have trouble with my thumbs. Bob, when you’re not looking, must be going crazy too. I thought all those ‘mangling’ machines had safety shields now. I guess I was wrong.

I remember when people were working with those big paper cutters and they would always stick there hands in at the last minute to straighten the load and get there fingers or whole hands severed. Finally they put the trigger on both sides. If you weren’t pulling both, it wouldn’t fire – and still some nuts would tie one trigger down so they only needed one hand to fire it – and sometimes that was all they had left. OSHA would then pull surprise inspections and fine any irregularities (tie downs) with the machines.

I would think a roll-up machine would have a cage over it so that if anybody got caught, the added thickness would trigger the emergency shutdown. You still might get a finger squeezed – but that should be it. When and if you ever have some free time, why not check into it – or even better - have Bob do it. You might have some additional compensation coming your way.

In any case, I hope you all survive this and Bob gets back to his old self again. I guess living is just one long case of incidents. It seems somebody is always rolling the dice.

Anyway, all my good wishes are with you,
                  Burt

Comment

Dolly... I am so sorry for these troubled times that you are dealing with as Bob tries to recover . What a tragic accident ! I just feel so much for you all.

I had a nurse on my team whose step dad actually died in the machine this way. It was horrible, and what that family went through was just terrible .

I can only imagine the nightmares that Bob, you and the rest of your family are having.

My thoughts , prayers and best wishes are with you.

Pam
                    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Dolly.

May you and your family find a time of rest after all you have been through. As I read your post I just kept thinking how horrible will it never end!? I am so glad his foot turned off the machine. Be assured of our prayers.

Peace,

Leon
                      God Squad co-moderator
                      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Wow, you all are a wonderful source of comfort! Thank you so much for all the comforting words.

This is honestly the most stressful and traumatic thing I have been through yet. (And I can't even imagine what Bob is going through with all the post traumatic stress and flash backs of literally fighting for his life!) Everything we have been through with Andrew was all kind of "expected" since we knew he had HCM. This accident with Bob just slammed me off my feet. He was working the night shift that night and I will never forget the words I heard when I picked up the phone at 11:43 PM that night. And then we had an hour drive ahead to get to the trauma center........Thankfully our oldest son heard the phone ring when I called him and he drove me there.

I am "unloading" a bit here, but I have to say this........... Bob told me by the time he was trapped up to his shoulder and head, he knew his arm was pretty much done. He said that is when he started fighting and pulling and resisting with all his might. He said he knew he would better off if it pulled his arm off then to flip the rest of his body in and kill him. For a split second he was actually hoping it would sever his arm in order to save his life. And it was a matter of seconds away from doing one or the other. It was at that time he accidently and miraculously kicked the shut off.

Burt,
                        You are so right! I have to be careful what I say here because 3M is a large company and they don't take kindly to public "talk" about an accident of this magnitude, (we were told Bob's accident is the most serious one at this plant in 23 years) BUT............After a couple days when things had settled down a little, I asked the very same questions. I wondered why, with today's technology, there is not some sort of sensor on that machine that would sense there is something other then the 4mm thick Poly being wound up!?!?!? I doubt I willl ever get an answer.

This is going to be a life altering injury for Bob. he has always been a very active outdoors man. Fishing, bow hunting, gun hunting, riding 4-wheeler, and his all time favorite past time.........shooting pool! He was well known in many areas of our state as "the best" in the area. All these things may no longer be possible for him..........and he has always been the hardest working man I have ever known. I am as worried about his emotional well being as i am his physical injuries.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you! I have read more comforting words in this one thread then I have heard in the past two weeks!!!!
                        Dolly~
                        Diagnosed \'95 age 5
                        Myectomy \'96 age 6
                        ICD implant \'99 age 9

*And aunt to 7 year old Kenny who had HCM and suffered sudden death in gym class. (2/20/87 - 4/6/94)

Comment

Dear Janet,

Your response touched me! I remember so well following along with your posts about James. And I also knew about your daughter's accident. I guess I forgot you were a single mom during all that. You truly do know what it is like to feel so alone while tackling the biggest battles you have ever faced. Thank you for your encouraging words!!!

As a side note........... we have Andrew's heart appointment coming up August 9th. It is his yearly tests and I always worry about those. Not good timing...........
                          Dolly~
                          Diagnosed \'95 age 5
                          Myectomy \'96 age 6
                          ICD implant \'99 age 9

Comment

Dear Dolly, my thoughts and prayers are with your whole family right now. I hope that Bob is abl to regain some use of his arm an that the nerve damage in the neck gets better really fast. I can only imagine how tough this must be for all of you! Know you're thought of.

Reenie
                            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Dolly, I am so sorry to hear of Bob's accident and recent health problems. I will be thinking of you all and hope that Bob recovers quickly and without further incident. Take care.

Pam
                              It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Working...
                              X