If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Father - Larry Flanigan

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Father - Larry Flanigan

Dad, Mom, Lisa & Family

Our prayers and best wishes.

Barbara & Stuart
    Cleveland Myectomy Club
    August 31, 2004

Comment

May all continue to go smoothly and I hope less work is needed when they get in there. Prayers and continued support to you all.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

My prayers and best wishes go with you all - Linda

Comment

Lisa,
          Hope all goes well with your dad. You and my family are in my prayers and thoughts.

Comment

Lisa, as you mentioned dad's passion for golf and fishing, I got a story I never told you about the time he combined both in one outing. We were playing golf one day, and dad hit his drive on a short par 4 into a small stream. He decided to play the shot from the shallow stream instead of taking a drop. He lined up the shot with a seven iron, and not only hit the green, but landed a 2 pound trout after smacking it in the head with the seven iron. He made the birdie putt, AND we had trout for dinner. You can't make stories like this up! ( or maybe you can?)
            Lisa\'s favorite (and smarter) big brother.

Comment

Just want you to know we are thinking of you and pray your dad does great and there are not complications! We appreciate you so much and look forward to hearing updates! Janet
              My son James, Age 18, diagnosed in January, 05. AICD - 4/5/05 at Tufts NEMC. Myectomy -1/25/06 at NEMC. Currently having heart failure issues. James' father and uncle both have HCM and AICDs. James dad, Carlton, had Myectomy at Cleveland on 4/10/06. James Medtronic recalled lead fractured 5/26/11. Had Biventricular Cardiac Resynchronization AICD put in on 6/3/11 Emory Midtown.

Comment

Hello from the Guest House at CCF,

Here is the latest:

5am we leave for the hospital
                It appears that after a chat with Nick Smedira the valve will need to be replaced with a tissue valve (likely a cow...moo moo!), a single bi-pass will be done and if that is not excitement for you all lets add in a MAZE too.
                This should all take about 5 hours so I would not expect to find a computer to update you all on until about 2-3pm.

For those who are not regulars on the board a MAZE is not something you play or fill out in book of puzzles! It is a procedure where the heart is 'purposely scarred' in this case with radiofrequency to create a pathway for the electrical current to travel. The hope is that this will take him out of A-fib the chances are about 60% or so that this will work but seeing as he is pacer dep. and has no conduction on his own anyway there is no real down side - this part of the procedure only adds about 5 minutes to the entire process.

He is up in the room resting now and I think really looking foward to having this OVER with!

We get up at 4 am to start our day so I will leave it at this for now and check in with you all soon.

Thanks for all the kind notes and support!!!

More later - -
                Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Good morning from CCF,

It is about 6am and dad has been sent in for pre-op stuff. We will see him in a little while then off to surgery!
                  He is doing very well and I think very happy that this day is actually here.
                  I will post an update when I am able to get to a computer.

more later

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Currently not obstructed

Comment

Lisa,

Due to an emergency medical situation with my husband, I have not been on here in several weeks (will explain later in another post). I am just trying to catch up on posts now.

I want to wish your dad the very best with his surgery today! I know first hand with Andrew's past surgeries, and most recently my husband's, that it is VERY hard on the whole family. Please know you ALL are in my thoughts and prayers.
                    Dolly~
                    mom to Andrew(HCM) 21 years old
                    Diagnosed \'95 age 5
                    Myectomy \'96 age 6
                    ICD implant \'99 age 9
                    First ICD shock (X2) \'04
                    ICD replacement surgery \'05 age 15

*And aunt to 7 year old Kenny who had HCM and suffered sudden death in gym class. (2/20/87 - 4/6/94)

Comment

Lisa,

Thoughts and prayers, well wishes to your dad and all of you as you wait. We wait to here.

Pam
                      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I will keep you in my prayers today.
                        Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                        ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                        Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                        Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Lisa

Thoughts and prayers

Shirley
                          Diagnosed 2003
                          Myectomy 2-23-2004
                          Husband: Ken
                          Son: John diagnosed 2004
                          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Lisa,

Thanks for the updates! There are many of us who know exactly what your father is going through and can picture the places in CCF. I am sure he is comforted to know that we are all rooting for him to have a successful surgery and speedy recovery. I will continue to keep your father and family in my prayers!

Elizabeth

Comment

Update 3pm Thursday July 20, 2006

Well all plans are subject to change.... this is the lesson we learned this morning.

At 9:46am Dad was placed on bi-pass.
                              The next 3 hours we waited for word.
                              at 12:30ish the call came and we learned that things were a little more complicated than we thought.
                              Dad ended up having
                              1 bi-pass
                              1 MV replacement (moo moo)
                              1 left atrial reconstruction
                              1 tricuspid valve repair
                              1 left sided MAZE
                              1 right sided MAZE
                              and I also think some work on the right atria... but I have to check on that as soon as I hear back from the surgeon.
                              He was on the bi-pass machine for 2.5 hours.

We were told we could see him at 3pm however when we got to ICU he was not here yet...not sure why yet.

UFF DA!

When we know more I will post it.

more later,
                              Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Maybe Dad went out to lunch between the OR and ICU.
                                Cleveland Myectomy Club
                                August 31, 2004

Comment

Working...
                                X