If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Father - Larry Flanigan

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Father - Larry Flanigan

Larry,

We're still tuned in.
    Dad, mom and all of you are in our thoughts.

Barbara & Stuart
    Cleveland Myectomy Club
    August 31, 2004

Comment

Update - Tuesday August 22, 2006

Yes - I have an odd sense of humor. The other issues dad has been dealing with are more so related to gastro issues. So someone from gastro was due by on Sunday to take a look at the problem - something dad was not happy about. Adam and Larry were surprise visitors - so I had them put on face masks and rubber gloves as I announced to my father a new "experimental" colorectal team wanted to have a look at his problem. HE WAS NOT HAPPY... then Adam and Larry walked in snapping gloved hands asking to have a look! He gave me a dirty look then smiled and said that was not nice - funny but not nice!

In real news dad is feeling a great deal better today and he told mom today that he wants to go to the firehouse picnic in September. PLANS he is making PLANS this is a BIG DEAL!

He had a little PT today and calls were made to check on rehab centers that can meet his needs locally. He is on his way back so ya better all look out

Thanks again to everyone!
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Lisa that is such great news, now i bet he can't wait to get back to his own bed and that was mean you know about the colorectal exam I bet his eyes got big though funny but bad

lol Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Lisa - Your reports, and those from other family members, have been priceless!You must promise that this thread will continue through the rehabilitation phase.

Best wishes to all.

Talk with you soon when things return somewhat to normal, i.e. back to NJ, back to school for Becca, and back to Hibernia for Lisa.

Dick Melia

Comment

Very glad to read of the PLANS and the progress! Give all of yourselves a pat on the back for being there for him! The 3 Fs (Faith, Family, & Friends) never fail! Hope to hear more good news soon.
            God Bless,
            Theresa
            Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Glad he is plugging along....
              Dx: HOCM 1991, Myectomy/Mitral Valve Repair @CCF July 19, 2005. Wife and Mom of two: ages 5 and 3.

Comment

Update August 23, 2006

There has been mention of leaving CCF next week... now that is only from one doc and we have no confirmation at this point... More news as it becomes available. Stay tuned to the LARRY Network

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Currently not obstructed

Comment

Don't tell dad, but I'm reading a book that teaches you how to bake a file into a cake and tie bedsheets together, although the fact that he is on floor number ten may be an issue. I'll check to see if they got a chapter on parachutes......just in case.
                  Lisa\'s favorite (and smarter) big brother.

Comment

Hi Lisa and family,

I'm hoping that every thing is still going well. I'm so glad you all have each other to lean on. That's so important at a time like this. I know that got all of my family through it when my mom was so sick.

Good wishes,

Debbie

Comment

So glad to hear things are moving along. What a reunion your dad will have! It is great that you all have such a wonderful sence of humor and have used it well and shared it with us all. Hang in there.

Pam
                      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have had some calls and some questions that I would like to address here. As many of you know there are options availble in terms of centers of excellence for the treatment of HCM and choice of center is personal. People have questioned why my father went to Cleveland Clinic and not a different center and was the choice mine. The choice was my fathers and I support him 110% in his choice. There were a few other options he had, he knew it and for reasons of his own he chose Cleveland. One reason was he knew a few people here in NJ who had gone to Cleveland when the local hospitals thought they were too complicated and these guys did well. He also felt comfortable with the reputaion of the the Cleveland Clinic.

I have often wondered if I need surgery (and that is a possibility for each of us with HCM) where would I go. The truth is I do not know and if I come to the time to make a personal choice I will make the choice that is right for me, my health and my family at that time. As for my dad I believe he made the right choice for himself and that is all that matters.

What advice would I offer to someone looking at the option of any major medical intervention - do your homework, know your options and make a choice that is best for YOU. That is exactly what I told my father back in May.

Dad is doing well today we are now working on planning his trip home which will likely be the begining of next week. Keep your fingers crossed!

Best to all,
                        Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

A nice easy car trip with lots of stops along the way sounds like the best route to take – and make sure the AC is in top shape. When I was released from the hospital I was thrilled at the chance to be gone from there, but the reality was that I should have stayed a few more days. I was a total mess.

I think your dad is a bit younger then I am, so I can well imagine how he will be feeling. I describe myself as having a well tuned engine with all the bright work nice and shiny – but with only one pint of gas in the tank. (To this day I am shocked at how fast I poop out.) So please, let dad set his own pace on the way home. Crank up the AC if he is warm, and stop if he feels the need to take a few steps outside before continuing.

One last point. I know how you all long to get dad home so you can visit him often, but don’t push him into leaving too soon. Another day or two doesn’t mean too much in the grand scheme of things. When he is really ready to go he will let you know – providing he is not influenced by your anxieties.

I love you guys, and I love what you do for us, so I would like to see your dad around to pick on you for a few more decades. (Somebody has to keep you in line.)
                          Burt

Comment

Originally posted by Burton Borrok
                            ...I would like to see your dad around to pick on you for a few more decades. (Somebody has to keep you in line.)
                            Somehow I think it's the other way around, Burton.
                            Judging from their comments, I think it's the kids that keep dad in line.
                            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

After my 10 day stay at the Cleveland Ritz after myectomy surgery it took 5 and1/2 hours to make a 4 hour drive home. It was not the most comfortable ride I have ever been on, but knowing I was going home made the trip a lot easier.

Tigger1
                              " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Sure Jim,
                                They are keeping dad in line now – but when he gets better and starts feeling his oats, I think the shoe will again slip onto the other foot.

You don’t have kids like he has by letting them do whatever they darn well please. (You know – spare the child and spoil the rod - - or something like that.)
                                Burt

Comment

Working...
                                X