If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Father - Larry Flanigan

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Father - Larry Flanigan

Absolutely marvelous. You brightened up my whole day.

I guess a shrimp a day keeps the sturgeon away.
    Burt

Comment

Buyer beware! A sturgeon is a cavier emptor! ( a good pun is it's own reword)
      Lisa\'s favorite (and smarter) big brother.

Comment

Lisa,

Glad to see he is in his own room. Hope to see that he recovers back in NJ
        Joe Del

Diagnosed @ age 45 with HCM June 2004; ICD Implant: September 2004. Fifteen years prior was tested and told had an anxiety attack. Second ICD implanted May 5, 2009 with adding second lead.

My biggest part is the depression and now on disability.

Tested positive for HCM gene and all three children are negative.

Husband and father of three children: Son 18 and two daughters 13 and 7.

Comment

That is GREAT news!! Hope he gets back to Jersey real soon. There is nothing like being home after a long hospital stay.

Lisa, The caring people and wonderful acts of kindness at CCF really surprised us as well. I had never experienced this in any other hospital setting before. It says a lot for their facility and makes you realize how and why they've been #1 for so many years inthe top hospitals. I'm very happy to know that we've all been able to give back to you and your family.
          Lord knows ya'll given so much of yourselves to all of us!!

Love and prayers!
          Sherry, Tommy, and Crew
          tommysgirl wishes you a blessed day with many laughs and smiles along the way!

Wife of Tommy Hall passed 9/22/07
          HOCM, (AA x2, CABG, RFA, Myectomy x2, Maze)
          Tomy 13
          Amber 25
          grandchildren Aiden 6, Maddie 4

Comment

I am finally back in my office today. I flew from Cleveland on Monday afternoon to St Louis for a meeting. Just got home last night.

I didn't get to stay long enough to see him get out of ICU. Wish I was there for the move!!! Apparently his new room over looks trees and the heliport which is a 100% improvement over the "view" from his ICU bed. The folks in ICU were great. Amazing to watch how hard some of those RN's work in the ICU. Takes a special personality to surive as an RN in that environment!

Mom has made a new friend (Mary), who's husband is also in ICU. They are becoming jigsaw puzzle experts during the breaks between visits. Well, apparently Mary is already an expert, and is teaching mom her secrets... Over the weekend we found the local Macy's, Wallmart and food store (yes, the seafood clerk thought we were nuts when we asked for 2 shrimps!!). Also, on the advice of one of the RN's, we found a really nice resturant on the water about a block from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. We took Mary with us and the three of us had a nice brunch on Sunday. It was a nice break for both Mom and Mary.

We told dad about the offer from the guys in his squad to bring out the rig if needed. He was very touched by the offer. And yes, we may be calling on his squad when it comes time to take him home to New Jersey.

From talking to mom last night it sounds like the food situation is getting better. He sent her to the cafateria for toast earlier yesterday, and then was eating a little chicken later in the day. So it sounds like he is taking in more than just the Ensure shakes and strawberry milk. We were trying to temped him with a few different things after the trip to the food store over the weekend, best sucess was a little cut up fruit and the one all famous shrimp.

I brought my lap top computer with me and showed him my digital photos and a few short video clips from the wedding. He enjoyed watching the video clips. They both look forward to watching the "official" video when they get home.

Been a long month, but things are really starting to look up. Once we get him back to New Jersey and spend a little time in a rehab facility he should start getting his energy back and be ready to hit the road when it comes time to head south for the winter!!!

Lynn

Comment

It sounds like everything's really improving for your dad. I'm really happy. He's still in my thoughts and prayers while he continues to recover.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

So glad to hear the good news! I'm really happy for your dad, that he's doing so much better, and I hope that you all just gather together as a family and keep each other strong.

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Debbie

Comment

Glad to hear your mom has found a companion and that your dad is on his way. I agree 100% about the CCF nursing staff. They're just remarkable! We'll keep praying.
                  Theresa
                  Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Continued good news of your dads steady progress in a positive direction is wonderful news indeed. So happy he has made the turn in the road. Keeping you all in thought and prayer and for continued healing for dad.

Pam
                    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Well, I guess no one should sell a shrimp short. Those mighty midgets can do a world of good to a guy on his back.

Well, now that dad is eating toast along with his liquid diet – Have you thought of a nice Ice Cream Sunday – with a cherry on top? Boy that would sure cheer me up. When I was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago all I could eat were the fruit cups and the juices – plus an occasional Fresca – when I could get the nurses to get one for me. (Boy those ladies sure work hard.)

I guess the next step would be to cover the toast with peanut butter and jelly. At this point the more he eats the more he will want – and hospital food isn’t the most appetizing food one can find. (In fact I say Phooey to it all. I call it fake food.) Instead, when you go to a restaurant get a very small something to go. The smell and taste will go a long way in getting him onto solid foods again. Come on dad – You can do it man. You’ve still got miles to go before you rest.
                      Burt

Comment

Road trip! On the road tonight, and back tommorow!

Comment

Safe travels! Hi to Mom and Dad - Linda

Comment

UPDATE - Cleveland Saturday August 19, 2006
                            Anne and Larry's 51st wedding anniversary!

Hello everyone,

Mostly good news to report. Dad is eating and basicly doing well. His chest is healing but is weak so he can not put any pressure on it at all. He is having some issues related to being in bed too long and these issues are making him uncomfortable.

We have BEGUN to talk about transfer plans without any dates yet - but heck they are talking to us about WHEN he is ready and what we will need! This is a great step in the right direction. They tell us we will have 2-3 days notice of when we can go. We have a plan to get a ride for him from here to home and will be using some of his friends to get him back home.

Becca, Grandma and I went school shopping yesterday for a little while - Becca has been a trooper this summer.

Well back to dads room for now. Adam and Larry are driving out...but we did not tell dad we are leaving it to be a surprise tomorrow.

Oh one more thing. MANY MANY THANKS to Karen in Dr. Levers office for helping me get a cake made for the anniversary party we had! Last year we had the big 50th party with all of the old friends... this year was a small party with some of the new friends! Mary (from the ICU waiting area), Mary Jones (wife of Brian - he got an LVAD and hs been in ICU as long as dad - he is 43), Dawn the nurse sent from Heaven and a few others.

More later,
                            Lisa
                            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                            Currently not obstructed
                            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hiya Lisa and family,

Thanks for the update, and Happy Anniversary to Anne and Larry.

Glad to hear your dad is doing better and is looking forward to hitting the road back to Jersey soon. I'm sure he can't wait to get out of there, but at the same time I know they have taken very good care of him. The nursing staff at CCF is just fantastic and I have nothing but admiration for all of them.

There's one wonderful lady in particular that I nicknamed 'MacGyver' for the ingenious methods she employed to make me comfortable. There were several nights that I just couldn't get into a comfortable position to sleep and I was pretty miserable. She would come in and go MacGyver all over me and rig up this setup that enabled me to sit upright but still be totally relaxed and get some rest. I swear she used pulleys and levers of some sort to accomplish this task. Those girls have some skills I'll tell ya.

Hope Larry's recovery continues to progress positively.

Jim
                              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

back at 12:30 this morning after 890 miles round trip with a touch of Chevy Tahoe Lag( Sadly, I have no jet). Dad wasn't real comfortable, but he had his wits about him a whole lot more than when I was out there 3 weeks ago, Mom may have lost some of hers, but between them they pretty much have a whole set.It's all about team work, we hockey coaches know that sort of thing.
                                Lisa can be a joker, I'll let her tell you about what she pulled on Dad when Adam and I arrived unannounced. I have no idea where she gets it from!
                                We did deliver some wonderful gourmet items, some sorta requested, others not. It's hard to believe that the hospital kitchen can't supply staples like jelly candy fruit slices in this day and age, and although Adam and I could not supply them either, we were close.

Comment

Working...
                                X