If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Father - Larry Flanigan

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Father - Larry Flanigan

Lisa - Your latest post brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad to hear that your dad is back. I know how scary all of this is, having been in your shoes myself. Please wish him the best for me, and my thoughts are also with you and the rest of your family.

You have reminded us in the most poignant way that this disease is something that affects the whole family.

P.S. Note to brother Larry,

Your comment about where your dad fit into the mental clarity continuum made me laugh pretty hard.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Hi, I just found out how to do this but have been thinking of you Larry.
      Good to hear you are doing better. This has been a very fun site to read.
      I just learned how to read and write on here so I will keep tabs on you
      Lhole.... You better behave. Love the Foxes and Martins.

Comment

Lisa.

What wonderful news!

Leon
        God Squad co-moderator
        Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

A turning point! This has to be a relief!
          Good news!
          Laura
          Dx: HOCM 1991, Myectomy/Mitral Valve Repair @CCF July 19, 2005. Wife and Mom of two: ages 5 and 3.

Comment

This is great news and I wish for more and more to come. Sounds like Mr Flanigan is turning the corner. Yippeee!!!
            Best wishes to all.

Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Update 9:45 Monday night

Mostly good new - a little not so good news - but by all means not bad news.

Dad is coming around but he has a small amount of fluid in one lung. It will have to be removed tomorrow. He is not happy about this.

I hope to see him out of ICU in the next day or 2. His Kidneys are much better as is his liver. His attitude improved so much in the past 36 hours. Grandkids have that effect on him!

Tonight he started talking about things he wants to do next summer... 2 days ago he thought he was not going to leave the hospital. Big steps in the right direction.

Thanks to Lou - from Rehab, Art, George, Karl and the rest for the calls and emails to mom, dad and the rest of the family!

More soon,
              Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Yea!

Lisa, I'm so glad for you guys that things are looking up. I'll just keep praying for more of the same.

Debbie

Comment

Glad to finally hear of a turning point! Brought tears to my eyes, too. Definitely not a road for wimps, if I say so myself! One day at a time.... Theresa
                  Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Lisa,

So how did things go today with the lung thing?
                    We await your post. Good news we hope.
                    Cleveland Myectomy Club
                    August 31, 2004

Comment

Lisa......

......good thoughts......prayers.....

Debbie

Comment

Update August 2, 2006 8:45 am

Well... yesterday was not a good day...it could have been worse... but it could have been better.

Kidney's still good. Liver still good. Attitude improved. Lungs - ug.. the lung the right lung... has several pockets of fluid they drained one and took off 150cc's of fluid they could not get the rest because the fluid is in little pockets. We do not know what is in the fluid but it appears it is a little infection. This may mean a simple change of meds or more draining required.

Never a dull moment. We are waiting on the docs this morning to give us a plan for the day. We peaked in to see dad this morning and got yelled at by the nurse.

Stacey, Becca and I are heading back to NJ at sometime today.

More later,

Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                        Currently not obstructed

Comment

Hang in there Lisa.

Leon
                          God Squad co-moderator
                          Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Lisa,
                            Keeping you all in thoughts and prayers. The one-on-one security of CCF's ICU is great, as they ARE fabulous; (Karl was my favorite nurse! And Joe, my favorite assistant.) But NObody wants to stay, if only because of the CONSTANT noise, beeps, voices, etc. Hope his lung starts clearing up and he is well enough to return to a regular room soon.
                            Theresa
                            Philippians 4:4-9; Wife, & 39 yo Mom to 9 year old son and 6 year old son/daughter twins; Diagnosed with HoCM 1999; Cleveland Clinic Myectomy and ICD, January 2006.

Comment

Update Thursday 10:00am - NJ

Hello everyone,

It is Thursday and I am back in NJ. After an uneventful drive home last night the girls and I arrived home at about 1:15am.

Today dad will have his right lung drained, scoped and a tube placed to help additional fluid drain. This will take place sometime today. They had also ordered a TEE for today but after discussion with the dr they agreed to wait until tomorrow for the procedure. Dad has a sore throat and the last thing he needs now is a tube down this throat. 2 days ago when they drained the fluid from his lung they started running cultures on it - they are waiting to see if anything grows (yeh I know yuk). If it does that will alter the course of treatment - if not YEH one less thing to worry about. If it grows anything there is no running away from one more TEE if it does not we may be able to talk to the docs out of the TEE and opt for a traditional echo.

Dad's spirits were better yesterday although I do not think he was happy to see us leave and also knowing that he is going to miss his grand daughters wedding this weekend. For those who were not aware my niece Jennifer is getting married Saturday (well...OK she and Aaron were 'married' almost 2 years ago when he got sent to Iraq but this is the "WEDDING"). Obviously he is disappointed but the good news is we will have a chance to have a video viewing party and a second party when he gets home!

We hope... HOPE HOPE to have dad out of ICU in the next day or two. I am HOPING that PT will get in there today and start working with him. He is very weak and needs all the help he can get in this area.

To my HCMA family - Thanks for being so understanding these past 2 weeks - here I thought I would be out of the office for 3-4 days...one more lesson in the world of HCM. I have taken a great deal of information with me from my time in the ICU world and will be adding new items to the site as a result. You know how I have said that it is important to bring a strong advocate with you in the hospital... I REALLY MEAN IT and if you can you should really take 2!

More later,
                              Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

update... so soon.

It is almost 11:00 they are ready to take dad for the procedure. They did say that they would try to do the TEE at the same time so that they did not need to knock him out again... oh well I tried to give his throat a break.

By the way... who the heck turned up the heat??!?! Good grief it is TOO HOT - stay inside and DRINK WATER!!

More later.
                                Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X