If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My kids' echos and EKG's....

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Reenie Find out more about Reenie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My kids' echos and EKG's....

Well, my kids went for their annual echos and EKG's yesterday. We have conflicting news so now I have to wait until they see the pediatric cardio in three weeks to see what's up. My daughter (13), who has more possible symptoms than the boys, had a completely normal echo and EKG. My older son (12) had a normal echo but his EKG was a little off, prompting the computer to print "repolarization abnormality suggests LVH" and something about sinus or ectopic atrial rhythms on the top of the strip. And my youngest son (10) also had a normal echo but apparently has a few arrhythmia problems, though nothing serious. She asked while she was doing the echo if he had any arrhythmias and I said not that I know of, but when she did the EKG the machine noted a little sinus arrhythmia. In short, I get to hurry up and wait for some answers from the cardio on the 28th. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers while we wait.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Reenie, You will be in our thoughts and prayers. I'm sure it will be a long 3 wks, but we'll all be hoping for the best, Linda

Comment

Reenie,
      You, your husband, and especially your children will be in my thoughts and prayers, during this difficult time of waiting.

Best wishes to your family,
      Joyce
      \"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.\"
      Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

I just thank God that I am prepared for the eventuality that at least one will get HCM and I am so thankful for this place. If it weren't for the HCMA I wouldn't know what I know now. Also, I might not be screening the kids annually and wouldn't be catching something early.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Reenie, I will be praying for you all. The waiting game is the pits.
          Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
          ICD&Pacemaker 1996
          Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
          Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Reenie,

Sinus arrythmia on an EKG is almost always a normal finding, especially in children. It is normal for your heart rate to increase while inhaling and decrease while you are exhaling, and this is what sinus arrythmia means. As for the 12 year old, it has been my experience that EKG computers read out what the interpretation would be for an adult based on age, body size, etc. I don't believe they take into account that it is a child being tested. So "abnormal" results may not be abnormal for a child. You need the pediatric cardiologist to interpret for you. I know that it will be a long wait for you regardless and I hope that everything turns out to be fine for all of them.

Comment

Reenie

I hope everything turns out well for your kids and i will keep them in my Prayers

Hang in there

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Reenie - I just read your post. Sorry to hear about this, but as we discussed this morning, you are totally prepared and know how to proceed. It is best to know your enemy.

I am including your kids in my continuous prayers.

Cynthia
                Daughter of Father with HCM
                Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Reenie,

You know Tim and I will be praying for patience during the wait, the wisdom of the doctors who will be reviewing things and for continued support of your entire family - what a year...

Love ya' -
                  Lynn & Tim
                  Lynn Stewart
                  HOCM 4/2002
                  Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Thanks for all the support, guys. You are the only people who truly know what I'm going through. I'm sure we'll get some real answers when we see the cardio in a few weeks. Vickie, thanks for the reminder that the machines are set up for adults and not kids. I knew that but it's an easy thing to forget when you're worried about your kids. I guess we're still in the watch-and-see mode.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Reenie,

I will also pray that the ped cardiologist decides that these are normal results for kids.

Rhoda

Comment

Reenie

I will keep your children in my prayers. Hopefully your pediatric cardio you will get peace of mind.

Take care and please keep us updated.
                        Esther

Comment

I too will keep you and your in prayer.

Leon
                          God Squad co-moderator
                          Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Reenie,

Thoughts and prayers that all the answers you receive will explain away the discrepancies in these screenings your children had. May time hasten by for you during this time of wait .

Pam
                            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Reenie, I also will be praying for you and your family. I know what you are going through. I just went through the same wait with my 17 year old son. He has HCM. It was hard at first, but like you said we have a great support system here at the HCMA.

Let us know what you find out. I think it is harder on the adults then the kids.
                              Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Working...
                              X