If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need support

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jmurray Find out more about jmurray
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need support

Hi all,

I just found out that my mother has small cell lung cancer today. She is going on Chemo starting this week. Obviously this has increased my stress level and I am going to mayo next week for all of my tests. "What is happening to my family" I scream! I am trying to be very strong for my mother but at the same time I am feeling a bit of a health crisis at the same time. She is worried about me, and I am worried about her. I need to find a way to relax a bit. She definitely has a bigger fight before her than I do. She joked today and said "Maybe we can get matching beds at the Mayo together"

I know she is strong and definitely stubborn but I would like to ask for everyones prayers for her. I have found this group to be such a great support.... Please say a prayer for my mother. I can not deal with my situation and hers together.

Thanks for listening.... You all mean a lot!

John
    41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

I'm sorry to hear about this. You and your mother are in my thoughts.

-- Tim
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

John

Iam so sorry to hear about your mother, this type of cancer is a tough one to recover from, my mother had it , like i said you are in my prayers and your mother and by the way mothers have a way of joking when they are scared and with trying really hard to not let their children know this, we have a tendancy to hide our feelings around our kids

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

You, your mother, and your whole family are in my prayers. I understand all too well how you feel to know your mother is sick. Know that she's getting the best possible treatment and that all is in God's hands.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

John, I know what a difficult time it is for you and your mother right now. I am from a family of "Cancer Survivors." Wish her a "Happy Mother's Day!" from all of us. Stay positive!
          Dorothy

Diagnosed 1996, Myectomy Aug. 2000, 3 Radio-frequency ablations for a-fibs 2003-2005.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I went through that with my dad as well. I know how it is to feel overwhelmed. My daughter is still healing from a severe brain injury from a car wreck and my son was diagnosed with HCM in January. They are both 10 and 12 and I am a single mother. But I can tell you, even though you may feel so overwhelmed at times, God will give you just what you need to get through. There have many so many days when I thought there is no way I can do this. But I did. I pray that your health will improve greatly and that your mom will get all the right care and treatment she needs. You hang in there and know you have support here! Janet
            My son James, Age 18, diagnosed in January, 05. AICD - 4/5/05 at Tufts NEMC. Myectomy -1/25/06 at NEMC. Currently having heart failure issues. James' father and uncle both have HCM and AICDs. James dad, Carlton, had Myectomy at Cleveland on 4/10/06. James Medtronic recalled lead fractured 5/26/11. Had Biventricular Cardiac Resynchronization AICD put in on 6/3/11 Emory Midtown.

Comment

John,
              I am sorry to hear of your mothers illness and she is going to have a big fight ahead of her. My thoughts, prayers and support go to you and your family. It is always the toughest things that seem to befall us when we already have enough to deal with.

Sorry for your troubles.

Pam
              Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
              Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
              Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
              SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
              [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
              Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
              Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
              Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

John.

We will definately be in prayer for you, your mother, and your family.

Peace,

Leon
                God Squad co-moderator
                Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

John,

I am praying here, too.

Rhoda

Comment

Thanks

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers. This website has become such a god send for me. Just reading your comments has really put me at ease. I will definitely share your kind words with my mother and father.

Grateful to all.....and keep praying

John

Comment

John, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. You both (and your dad) have my best wishes for your health and for caring for each other. I know it is a lot on top of going to the Mayo evaluation for yourself, but even though it is a bunch to deal with and you have to deal with whatever the evaluation information is, remember that you should be able to expect that the Mayo trip overall should go very smoothly. Best wishes to you and your mom, Lisa Inman

Comment

John,
                        You and your Mom are in my thoughts and prayers! My mother is a cancer survivor and it makes every added day I am able to spend with her a blessing. I hope and pray you will find comfort in all those that touch you during her treatments and recovery. Keep breathing through all of this and know that we are here for you and support and love you both through your struggles. I am glad we are all here to help you through this challenging time.

Blessings for a great Mother's Day! Have a peace filled day and a great week ahead at Mayo.
                        Love and Light to you and yours,
                        Sharon

Comment

John,

My Mother is in remission from small cell lung cancer. She has been in remission for the last 7 years. We will never beable to say she is cured but she has beat it thus far and i am sure she will keep it up as I am sure your mother will. My mom is just the same as yours determined to beat it if only to take care of me longer lol. You and your mother will be in my thoughts and prayers I know you will have the strength to get through this!!We are never given more than we can handle even tho it may feel like we are.

Elaina

Comment

Thank you all again. I truly can feel the power of your prayers. I will be calling mom on Sunday (of course) Moms day and will pass on all of your kind words. You know....I really believe that me having HCM has become a bit of a blessing because I have never felt such a feeling of support for my family.

Next week I get to go to Mayo for my own issues and that feels like a bit of a blessing also....great insurance ya know! I feel like things will work out great and I have never been to Rochester MN so I am going on a VACATION!!

Thanks again everyone and I will let ya'll know what is going on

My best to you all,

John

Comment

John, You and your family will be in my prayers. Best wishes for your upcoming trip. Please keep us posted, Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X