If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special Poem for my son

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

angall Find out more about angall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Poem for my son

Today is the 10 year anniversary of my son passing.

I would like to share poem that a classmate had put in their yearbook & in an addition of the school newspaper:

Mike Yeakley
    December 15, 1978 - December 3, 1994.
    Don't think of him as gone away
    His journeys just begun
    Life holds sl many facets
    And this earth is only one.

Just think of him as resting
    From the sorrows and the tears
    In a place of warmth and comfort
    Where there are no days and no years.

Think how he must be wishing
    That we could know today
    How nothing but our sadness
    Can really pass away.

And think of him as living
    In the hearts of those he touched
    For nothing loved is ever lost
    And he was loved so much.

Death is just a gateway
    That people must all pass through
    And on the othere side of death
    In a world that's bright and new.

Our loved ones wait to welcome us
    To that land free from tears
    Where joy becomes eternal
    And time is not counted by years.

The young lady that talked so strongly about placing this in their yearbook would go to visit Mike when I was there. It was very hard for her to talk about Mike. I do believe she expressed many peoples emotions through this poem.

I still think about Mike often, especially the month of December

You see my birthday was yesterday (December 2) and losing Mike was today, and his the December 15.

He would have been 26. So many years hes been missed. I will always have that empty feeling, when I see his smiling face.
    Esther

Re: Special Poem for my son

Hi Esther,
    What a beautiful tribute to your son. As I guess you know, I’m Jewish, and one of our beliefs is that when you die and go to heaven you are asked some questions to determine your fate, and the first question is, “What did your fellow humans think of you?” I’m sure that poem would have granted him immediate entry.

We really can’t know G-d’s plan for us and have to have faith in His perfect judgment. I believe we are all put on this earth to perfect our souls, and when we have accomplished the task we were sent here for we are allowed to return to heaven. The length of time we spend here doesn’t really matter. The completion of the task we were sent here for does.

I can only imagine the pain involved in loosing a child, but in truth, no one is ever really lost. I am sure he is sending you his love as you are sending him yours. G-d grant you peace.
    Burt

Comment

Esther, these would be the two most powerful days each year for you both in saddness and love. I'm sorry your son is gone, I cannot imagine going thru that with my daughter who is 23.
      The poem was beautiful, your friend has a great way to express herself.
      Esther, say a little prayer, Mike will here it.
      Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
      So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
      Good luck and stay well.
      Glen

Comment

Hi Bert
        You're absolutely right. I do believe we are put on earth to accomplish something and when we have successfully met this accomplishment, we go home.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Hi Glen
        When I first lost Michael, I would speak to him off and on for days. It got to the point I would say, "Michael, I sure wish you hear me". In my heart I know he does.

I use to smell the cologne he wore and had a comforting feeling he was nearby. I moved to Minnesota knowing that Michael will always be close to me....in my heart and memories.

Thank you for your kind words.
        Esther

Comment

That poem is so special. I'm glad that your son had the kind of friends who would write such amazing things about him.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Esther,

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful poem. I am so sorry for the loss of your son.

And if I may say respectfully, Happy Belated Birthday.

((((((((Hugs))))))))))

Eileen
            49 yrs. old
            Diagnosed at 31.
            Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
            First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
            Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
            Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
            My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
            2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Ester,
              What a gift you have given to us all, thank you.

I hope that your friends here at the HCMA have made this time of year a little easier. We all know too well what you are feeling and how you and your family miss the one taken by this disease.

You are in my thoughts and prayers today as is your son. I am sure that my sister will find him in heaven and bake him a great big cake- -he will be joined by all of our loved ones and they will have a wonderful party. During which they will look down and see this thing called the internet and thing - boy I am glad those left behind have someplace to be together.

I wish for you Peace - and happy memories!
              Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Esther,

Thank you for sharing the poem and your thoughts. It makes us all thankfull and appreciative for the loved ones we have here with us and a reminder that those who we love and have gone before us are so much a part of our everyday lives still.

What a wonderfull tribute to Michael and knowledge that he is still here with you , just on the other side of somewhere very special.

Thoughts and prayers .

Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Just a little something I'd like to share too.

Why do we have to mourn?
                  The loss of another,
                  Probably from our hands are torn.
                  A cherished friend or brother.

But why not rejoice?
                  For they have gone to a higher place.
                  Where pride and prejudice are not a choice.
                  A place where they can gaze from heavens of grace.

And feel for us:
                  Who have life to bear.
                  Those of us who have forgotten trust,
                  And believe all is a place of fear

So don't let your tears.
                  Be those of utter sorrow.
                  Let them be a release of those fears.
                  For they, will be watching you tomorrow.

Mary S.

Comment

Mary,
                    That was nice.
                    Thanks
                    Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Mary,

Thank you for sharing your poem. It is beautifully written and from your heart.

As problematic as that heart of yours is for you it sure does have a lot of beautifull sentiments to share. That is a good thing.

Pam
                      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X