If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EKG question- Q wave

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reenie
    replied
    Thank you. You're so right, I do worry about my kids the most. The best I can do for them is to learn what we might be up against and keep an eye on them.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    replied
    Reenie, Its great that your kids are doing fine. No matter how much I stress about my own health, the moment I even think of one of my kids getting this, my problems seem small in comparison. Many prayers that your children remain HCM free.

Take care,
    Pam

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    So far my son is still clear. He's 9 now and had his last echo in August. We still check every year for him and his brother and sister. Thank goodness all of them are clear at this point.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    replied
    Thanks all.
    Reenie, did your son end up developing HCM? I really need to learn how to read EKG's.

Thanks
    Pam

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied
    When my youngest's first EKG turned out a little weird (he was also 4) they said that many kids have odd EKG's because the machines are set up to read adult waves, not kid waves.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied
    Hey Pam,

I just saw this post. I had some Q waves on my 24 hour monitor. And the Doctors said this was also known as a delta wave. As they were telling me that if a delta wave is prominent all the time than that is a sign of Wolf Parkinson White disease. But, it turned out in my case to be just hcm. So I think it is something maybe worth looking into.

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    replied
    Nigel, thanks for the post, sorry for a slow response but I just saw the post. One thing I am grasping on to is the knowledge that it is not uncommon for young children to show such irregularities(such as LVH) on their EKG's. Like I said earlier, his echos all showed normal. The EKG his family Dr did several weeks back now was sent to a cardiologist for evaluation and I have not heard back yet. No news is good news I hope. Thanks for taking the time to give me your input. It is appreciated.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Nigel
    replied
    Re: EKG question- Q wave

When I was 16 years old (18 now) I had an EKG that showed Q waves and also inverted T waves. My echo at the time was deemed 100% normal. Two years later with the very same EKG, my echo shows HCM.

Keep in mind that many younger people have abnormal EKG's. In the setting of cardiomyopathies, I would think an echo and other imaging studies would be able to better evaluate your child. I'm sure a pediatric electiophisalgist would be able to answer any questons you have regarding the abnormal EKG.

Wish you the very best,

Nigel

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    replied

No, not since last November. I am trying to get him in for another one.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

Pam,
    Has he had an echo yet?
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    replied

Hi all, thanks for your replies. My son is 4, and yes he did have an echo about a year ago. The ped. cardiologist said it was completely normal and sent us on our way. A few weeks ago, we see a Dr at the Genetics Centre and he informs us for the first time that my son had an abnormal EKG(a year ago). He saw our family Dr last week and had another EKG done and the Dr said it was normal. (Although he has never heard of HCM). I have been trying since to get another Dr to look at his echo from last year but the clinic that performed the echo LOST his chart. UGH.

Anyhow thats the story(the short version)

I appreciate all your help, and Burt, you may have missed the boat-I think I have already LOST my mind. . Maybe next time around.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

How old is your son? Did he also have an Echo?

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Abbygirl Pam,
    It is great hearing from you again – although the circumstances could be better.

I’m afraid that my knowledge of Q waves extends only to them going around in circles and wagging their little puppy dog tails.

When it comes to going out of your mind though – well there I am definitely your man.

Tell me, have you checked it out on the internet. You have the whole world at your fingertips – and you could ask your doctor for confirmation of your findings.

Take care Hon, and if your going to go out of your mind give me a call and I’ll go with you. (I sure could use the break.)
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Laoshur
    replied

Pam,

I wish I could give you a better answer, but as I read it, this does indicate the possibility of HCM, particularly since it is in a family with previously diagnosed HCM. If you follow links on Google for "prominant Q wave HCM", you will get a number of hits. One said:

Electrocardiogram. Main features include left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH) pattern and the presence of prominent Q waves which resemble Q waves of myocardial infarction (pseudo-infarction pattern). Ambulatory electrocardiogram may reveal atrial and ventricular arrhythmias including non-sustained ventricular tachycardia (NSVT).

This was found at http://www.brown.edu/Courses/Bio_281.../handout6b.htm

I wish this was better news, but I think you should push your doctor for more evaluation and information.

Rhoda

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    started a topic EKG question- Q wave

EKG question- Q wave

I was informed just last week that my 4 yr old son's EKG(done Nov 2003) showed "prominent Q waves". His echo(Nov 2003 also) was completely normal. Can someone please explain what this means before I lose mind?!?

Thanks and much appreciated.

Pam
Working...
X