If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

never a dull moment........

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Lisa Salberg Find out more about Lisa Salberg
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• never a dull moment........

This post is simply a vent - and it has nothing to do with HCM.

This week I returned from AHA with a heck of a cold. This happens EVERY YEAR ... UFF DA! The good news is I am feeling much better now!
    I arrive home and the next day Stacey falls and sprains her ankle! UFF DA again. This is her 2nd sprain in 3 months - different ankle!

That brings us to yesterday. I stepped out on my back deck to ask Becca what she wanted for lunch. I looked over to say hello to our 2 bunny rabbits - Nicole and Pepper - and the cage is tipped over!?! Our deck is 20 feet high with no outside stairs I looked around and noticed the flag mounted on the deck is on the ground and there are scratch marks on the side of the deck. At first I thought it was a bear - but the bears are too big and would have done far more damage - then I noticed the bird feeder was on the ground too - RACOONS! We had 3 racoons on the deck a few weeks ago and they must have returned to get the bunnies food.

I looked all over the deck and there was no sign of the bunnies. I checked the yard - with no luck. I told Becca that I feared they were gone for good. THEN I saw Pepper sitting by the house! I was so happy!! I picked him up and began to search again for Nicole. Stacey was holding Pepper and hobbleing on her back ankle looking for Nicole. I then got a cage to put Pepper in - when I put him in he fell out of my hands and just laid there - his back was broken and he was unable to move his back legs at all.

Off to the emergency vet - I knew it was not going to be a good trip but I had to give Pepper a chance. However upon evaluation it was clear the back was broken and there was nothing we could do. He was put to sleep at 4:00pm yesterday. We have not found Nicole and I am not sure we ever will. The bear was around the neighborhood Saturday night and if she was injured it is likley she was found by the bear. My Niece Jennifer lost a bunny to the bear a few years ago.

For those of you who think NJ is a city environment - let me assure you this is the country with all its creatures including the 2 deer that were in my front yard at 1am!

I still want to know how those racoons were able to tip the cage - it is really big!

So that is my vent...

Thanks!
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Re: never a dull moment........

Lisa

I thought i was the only one to have those kinda days, but take it easy and i'm so sorry about your rabbits, my kids had a rabbit when they were small that rabbit loved my kids and they did her also, well you take it easy and have a better day

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Lisa ...

Thoughts and prayers!

The Brown Team
      \"Find rest, O my sould, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.\" Psalm 62:5-6

Comment

Boy Lisa, your story was a reflection of my last 2 weeks but you had it all in on e swoop.

I'll tell you mine so you won't have to go it alone.

My daughter Sarah was in a car accident hit by a truck, she was in a little Infiniti. Total wreck , thankfully only shook up and not injured . It turned out to be a 3 car, as the truck then hit another truck at a stop sign. The outcome : the other insurance refused half of her rental and said it was half her fault even though he turned left in front of her. My oldest fell asleep at the wheel coming home from work and hit a curb blowing out 2 tires. Thankfully not injured. The outcome: 2 new tires and a front end alignment needed. I ended up in the hospital with diverticulitis. Outcome: still resolving . My son's dorm room was flooded by a MORON tossing a football in the hallway and hitting a sprinkler head. Outcome : lost items and possible damage charge to all students living in that wing of the dorm. My favorite cat , Henry suddenly started having massive seizures after I treated him for fleas. Outcome: he died. My father is now having diverticulitis and needs to have a cat scan also. Outcome : hopefully a full recovery .

So I hear ya Lisa, there must have been something in the forces beyond our reach . Good carma please come back to us all enough is enough.....

The upsweep in the middle of all this, Sarah passed her critical care component and has 3 classes left before she will graduate with a BS in nursing . Whooo Hooo!!!
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Thanks for the story Pam... it sounds like we were in the same mental location for a few days (completely insane!).

Thanks for your posts... I am back to myself now!
          Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Currently not obstructed

Comment

Just to add a topping to this crusty cake:

Today I went out to start my VW bug to get ready to pick my daughter up at the garage. As fate would have it, my mind was elsewhere. Apparently when I started the car and left it in neutral to warm up ( it is a stick shift), I must have released the emergency brake.

As I walked away I heard the sound of crackling on a paved surface. I said hmmm, and then casually glanced back only to see the bug bearing down on me from the top of the hill. I don't know how I managed but with my adrenaline pumping and making me feel like I would surely faint, I was able to slow it down. Yes, I stood in front of it and thankfully was able to take out some of it's momentum without being mowed down like a ten pin at the bowling alley. Being alone at the time and unable to sustain this action for more then a fragment of time , I dashed for the door opening it as it started to pick up speed and hurled myself into the tiny compartment. With a whirling head and confusion and blurred vision impeding my reason, I was able to get both my size tens on the brake and the clutch( because by this point I was so pumped up I could not think of which pedal needed a slam) . Phewey!!! I sat there in the drive way huffing and puffing and gasping for air. It was several hours before the ringing left my ears and some time to stop the shaking.

What a moment. Tomorrow I will have a laugh a good laugh at what a sight I must have been...

Pam
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Oh Pam

I would have passed out for sure with all that excitement ........are you still ok, you poor thing i think i would just take the day off girl, Carma is just not with you lately i hope you have an uneventful day tomorrow

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear about your rabbits. I know how pets are family members. I'm so sorry.

I have a 12 and a half year old toy poodle and when she goes, I'll need major help!

I'm glad your cold is better. And I hope Stacy's ankle is feeling better and healing fast

((((((((Big Hugs)))))))))

Eileen
                49 yrs. old
                Diagnosed at 31.
                Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Pam,

Holy Cow!!! Wow!! That's amazing!!!

Pam's Quote:

Yes, I stood in front of it and thankfully was able to take out some of it's momentum without being mowed down like a ten pin at the bowling alley. Being alone at the time and unable to sustain this action for more then a fragment of time , I dashed for the door opening it as it started to pick up speed and hurled myself into the tiny compartment. With a whirling head and confusion and blurred vision impeding my reason, I was able to get both my size tens on the brake and the clutch( because by this point I was so pumped up I could not think of which pedal needed a slam)
                  You are Wonder Woman!!

You stood in front of a moving car and slowed it down !!!!!
                  That is something right out of movie or TV show! Yikes!

You Rock!!

Amazing

-- Eileen
                  49 yrs. old
                  Diagnosed at 31.
                  Cardiac Arrest 2003, RF Ablation in AZ, no positive result -
                  First ICD 2003 - In 2006 lead went bad, abandoned lead, threaded new one & new generator
                  Myectomy 5-5-05 at The Cleveland Clinic - Dr. Lever & Dr. Smedira -heart surgeon.
                  Currently have Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction with pulmonary hypertension & pulmonary edema.
                  My brother passed away suddenly at 34 yrs old from HCM.
                  2 teenage children, ages 17 and 15.

Comment

Pam, Tomorrow, you will prob rotate between shaking in your shoes and laughing. I'm glad you are OK! Linda

Comment

Hey Pam - lets not try that one again

Take care!
                      Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Hey Lisa ,

Thanks , I heard you the first time , Oh it hurts to laugh, I have bruises where I can't see .

I guess I fit into the category of leaping before I think. I wonder if I will ever turn that around? Well I think I will have to be very carefull as my mind goes demented.

Linda you are correct my emotions were all over the place the next day.

Eilleen , that is true. I used to watch wonder woman a lot. I must of got the idea from her that I could do anything. Like stopping a run away Beetle Bug. It is funny a man and his little girl came up to me the other day and asked if they could say hi to Herbie the bug. I just chuckled as I said yes, to think of what this bug almost did to me

Pam

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X