If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you


No announcement yet.

health records????


About the Author


jujemendoza2002 Find out more about jujemendoza2002
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • health records????

    How can I get hospital and emt records from the hospital that my son passes away at? Also I have all of his echos on tape,is there any good use I could make of those? and his heart was said to been the size of a adults pro. athlete, where can I find the measurements so that I can compare and share thoughts with others about the details of his death. Also I'm so curious about my fathers records, because back then they knew so little about hcm, he died 30 years ago, how do I get his, I think his doctor is not practicing anymore.

  • #2
    Re: health records????


    Getting your son's records will not be difficult. The hospital should have a medical records department that deals specifically with this situation. You can call, write, or stop by in person and ask for an authorization form to release copies of his records to you. There is usually a fee to obtain these, however if you state that you require the records for the continuing or future treatment of a family member (since HCM is genetic) they should give them to you for free.

    As far as your son's echocardiograms are concerned, the cardiologist who interpreted them should have the written reports with the details you are searching for... measurements, diagnosis, special notes, etc. Since you have the tapes, you will be able to provide them with the exact dates of the echos. If any or all of these were performed at the hospital where he died, then those reports should be included with the other medical records you recieve. Otherwise, contact the cardiologist directly.

    Your father's hospital records will be a bit more difficult, but not necessarily impossible. I was recently able to obtain my father's records from 20 years ago. Again, just get in touch with the medical records department at the hospital where he died. The death certificate will list the name of the hospital and the attending physician if you are unsure about these. Your mother will have to sign the release form as the surviving spouse, however if this is not possible then the executor of your father's estate can do it. Assuming the records are still in existence, be prepared to wait a while. My father's were buried pretty good and took many months for them to find.

    Good luck,

    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."


    • #3
      Re: health records????

      Hi Jen,
      Just want to add to Jim’s comments that in the event the hospital or doctor requires payment for the records, you can ask your cardiologist or PCP to make the request, as it is a genetic disease, and may impact on your care. I believe supplying the information to another doctor who is supplying medical care to the patient – or in this case, affected relative - must always be free, by government requirement.