If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life Insurance???

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

rocky52 Find out more about rocky52
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Insurance???

Can people with HCM get life insurance? What are your experiences with this.

Thank you
    Angela

Re: Life Insurance???

It isn't impossible for most HCM'ers to get life insurance, but you will most likely be rated at a high risk category and will pay much more for your premium than most others. Your best bet for affordable life insurance will be to go for a job that offers group life. That will make it more affordable.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Thanks Reenie

We are looking into now.

Angela

Comment

Rocky,
        There was a thread on this not all that long ago. Try the search function and see what was written then. We covered the subject reasonably well.
        Burt

Comment

Angela, I am logged on in my daughters place, so that is not my picture. I have had experience with life insurance. I was able to get a policy that is called a "second to die" policy. That means that both my husband and I are covered but the policy will not pay until both of us have passed away. That works if you are planning to leave something to the children but won't pay off the mortgage if one of you dies while still owing on a house. Our policy is $266,000 coverage and costs $6,000 a year. The insurance is with John Hancock. My parents also had this kind of policy with the Mony Group. My husband and I are both 53 and have just gotten the policy. Two of our 3 daughters have tested "genetically" positive for HCM and one of them was able to get a $50,000 policy but the 17 Year old (pictured) was denied. She will have to depend on group life insurancae once she starts working. Hope this helps.
          Jean Patterson
          Mother of Cynthia

Comment

Thank you for the posts on this!

I was turned down today for Life Insurance due to my condition and being overweight. I started doing some searches and found this site.

Any info anyone has in regards to insurance options would be great!

I currently have insurance through my job but was looking for additional for my family - in addition I may not be employed here forever.
            - Rich

Diagnosed with Apical HCM in 2000

Comment

HCM is almost always an automatic denial for life insurance. Northwestern Mutual's underwriting handbook has one word under the category "Cardiomyopthay" ---Decline.

Group policies through work, group policies through a trade organization like the American Bar Association if you are a lawyer, for example, or if your company has portable policies --you can elect to pay the premiums after you leave and keep the policy, are about your only options outside of those second-to-die policies.

Whenever possible, get life insurance, then go to the doctor!

Sarah

Comment

I work for a life insurance/mutual fund agent. I tried looking up rates for my husband and they didn't deny him right off the bat. They would rate him heavily and charge him lots of money per month for premium, but not deny him. My agent said that usually you can get insurance no matter your health, as long as you're willing to pay for it. Just something to think about.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I have fifteen diagnoses including HCM, four heart caths, familial Hyperlipidemia, kidney disease, diabetes, and arterial blockages throughout my body, just to name a few. If I were to apply for a policy where a health exam was required – and I was not turned down outright – the annual premium would probably be greater then the amount of the coverage.

If you’re looking at this site because of your own diagnoses, it’s probably too late to get a good, reasonably rated policy. If you’re looking because a blood relative was diagnosed, go buy yourself a policy before you get yourself checked. My wife wanted me to get some additional coverage, and I am paying an exurbanite rate for one of those ‘No Exam’ policies. Thankfully I have an old policy which just keeps growing by reinvesting the premiums.
                  Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X