If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My mother has HOCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mansour Find out more about mansour
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My mother has HOCM

I don't know enough about CHF to say how much water is usually appropriate. Hopefully someone else who either has personal experience or one of our nurses here will answer this. I think she should coordinate all care with the doctor until she is no longer in CHF.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Mohamed, From your previous posts, it sounds like you are here in the U.S. and your mother is on the other side of the world. This is really a tough one to try to deal with. You can only go by what you are told and that always leaves questions. Same with us. If her doctor has told her to go easy on intake of fluids, she may have some kidney problems and he would be the one to put all this together. With the diabetes problem, it would not be unusual to have kidney problems. I think one of the best things you can do for her is make sure she is involving her doctor every step of the way. She needs pretty intense help right now to get that sore leg and all the fluid under control. If you were able to talk to her doctor, you might get a better idea of what the plan is, how she is doing, and what to expect. I wish you all the best and hope you hear better news soon. Please keep us posted. Linda

Comment

Linda,
        You are correct, I am in Marietta, GA and she is in Egypt.
        Things have took a sharp turn yesterday. Her blood pressure dropped severly and she was rush to the emergency room again. Her kidney stopped working and the doctors say that is because of the low blood pressure. Now her blood pressure is up again and she is concious but her kidney is not functioning yet.

I am travelling to Egypt today to be close to the family. I will be able to continue checking this newsgroup so please post any information that might be helpful.

Thanks,
        Mohamed

Comment

Mohamed

Our prayers go with you, hope your mother is ok......keep in touch let us know how she is when you see her

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Mohamed, Best wishes, hopefully her BP will be back up quickly and have restarted those kidneys. Have a safe trip. Glad you will finally be able to get a first hand picture. Waiting to hear, Linda

Comment

Please let your mother know that friends on the other side of the world are hoping that she gets better and gets the help she needs quickly. We're thinking about her.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Mohammed,
                Many of us here are and will continue to be praying that by the time you get home to Egypt, you will find that your mother is much better and that her kidneys are fully functional.
                Rhoda

Comment

Thanks for all the kind wishes.
                  She is improving slowly. Kidneys are now functioning and the doctors are slowly decreasing the dosage of the medicines that keep her heart going.
                  Her liver is not in good shape now, so we are waiting for it to come back online. Her awarenes level has improved significantly over the past few days. She also has high pressure in her pulmonary artery which the doctors can't explain at the moment.
                  She has a bad infection in the lower part of her leg. A dopler scan showed no clots. They will do a blood test tomorrow to see if the infection is causing (generating) micro clots in the blood stream.
                  I will get her status report from the hospital tomorrow. If I post it on this newsgroup will someone be able to review it and give us any hints?

Thanks again for all the nice wishes and the prayers. Please continue to remember her.

--
                  Mohamed (now in Cairo)

Comment

I'm glad your mother is improving. I pray the doctors have the wisdom to treat her appropriately and that she will get stronger every day. We will do our best to help you interpret any reports you get from the doctor. Best wishes.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Mohamed,
                      I know a Egyptian physician who practices medicine in the US. He has multiple specialities including nephrology (kidneys) and pathology (tissue diagnosis) among others. I suspect that if we can't help, I could probably call him and he would give you some insight. I haven't talked with him in several years, but we write back and forth from time to time, so I would be comfortable asking him. His mother had kidney cancer in Egypt and I asked him how she was doing and she was doing fine now. Let me know if you would like me to try to contact him. I don't think he would be much help with the HCM, but maybe with some of the rest.
                      Rhoda

Comment

Thanks for all your support and help.
                        Her case is so much better now compared to when she was first admitted. She should leave the critical care tomorrow.

We will have to wait sometime before we even consider to do ablation. Doctors told us we have to wait until liver recovers to a state where it is able to coagulate blood.

Other than that, water retained in her body is lower and getting lower every day. She had a very bad infection in her legs, that is getting better as well.

So, we will just have to wait and see.

I did pass to her all your best wishes. I think she aware enough to understand but too tired to express any feelings about them. On behalf of her we thank all of you for the support.

--
                        Mohamed

Comment

Hi Mansour
                          I have been reading about your mother. I'm so glad she is doing much better and got the proper care for her condition. She will remain in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Take care
                          Esther

Comment

I am happy to hear your mom is doing better. Best wishes to you and your family. Pam
                            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Mohamed.
                              I hope you don’t mind that a Jew has been wishing your mother peace and a full recovery – and peace and happiness to you and your whole family.

When all is said and done, we are still half brothers, and who can you turn to for help if not a relative? It sounds like your mother is receiving excellent medical care now. I just wish they had been there for her when this whole problem started.

Before you return to the States from Egypt, I hope you have cause for great celebration.
                              Burt

Comment

Mohamed, Thanks for the update, many prayers and best wishes for continued improvement are coming your way. I hope you are able to spend some time with your mother before you have to return to the U.S. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X