If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

statistics question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Bettie Find out more about Bettie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• statistics question

When you say that one in 500 have hcm, does that mean of all of the heart patients that a doctor sees in a year that one in 500 may have hcm, or does it mean that of all the people in the world that one in 500 have hcm?
    septal myectomy on Jan. 27, 2005

Re: statistics question

Hi Bettie,

My understanding is that it is the latter; 1 out of 500 people in the world have HCM.

Lynn
    Lynn Stewart
    HOCM 4/2002
    Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Hi Bettie,
      It is estimated that one person in five hundred of the world’s population has HCM. That’s one fifth of one percent of the people strolling around this earth today.

Of course this is an estimate, and not every person with HCM has been identified. As far back as I can remember into my childhood (four years old) I was told by doctors that I had a heart murmur and an ‘athletic’ heart, but I was expected to outgrow it. I wasn’t properly diagnosed with HCM until I was seventy-one years old.

According to the US Bureau of the Census the earth’s population as of today is 6,379,751,805. That would mean there are 12,759,503.61 people with HCM alive today. (I wonder who that person is who has only sixty-one percent of HCM. If it’s a woman I wonder if she is a ‘little bit’ pregnant.)

In any case, it is estimated that over twelve and a half million people have HCM today. Why they all haven’t joined the HCMA is beyond me. - - I just love statistics.
      Burt

Comment

Burt, it's like high blood pressure, a whole lot of them don't know they have it.
        Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
        So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
        Good luck and stay well.
        Glen

Comment

"...it is estimated that over twelve and a half million people have HCM"

I've seen the stats before and can't figure out why HCM is still considered RARE. The odds are much greater that one will have HCM than win the lottery or get struck by lightening.

If an estimated one of five hundred people have HCM then there should be...oh about 4 more people in my town with it. We could have a support group.
          But alas I would have been the ONLY one with it, if I still lived in the town in which I was raised....a mere 400 people.

Thats all!!

Pam
          It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

As Glen stated, there are likely a multitude of individuals out there who are asymptomatic, that do not know they have HCM, and will probably live to a ripe old age and die without ever knowing they had the darn thing. There's also plenty of people like my dad who had lots of symptoms, but were misdiagnosed and died without knowing the real cause. I'm sure we all know or have heard of cases like that. These folks are not included in our statistical analysis of course, and might possibly represent a large chunk of our 'missing' HCM'ers.

As far as the 1:500 statistic itself goes, i always try to remember that this is only an estimate. Elsewhere i have read that the ratio of HCM'ers to the general population is more like 1:1000... but this is still only an estimate. As with any statistic, it can be manipulated to suit many different purposes and outcomes. I don't believe that there's even a way to know for sure how many actual HCM'ers exist out there who are getting treatment. Are these data being reported somewhere? I'm sure there are lots of folks who get treated solely by their local cardio and do just fine. Surely these cases aren't all being tracked.

There is still so much we don't know about HCM, it really is quite a fascinating topic. When you consider the familial aspect of HCM, then certainly other factors come into play such as migration and settlement patterns across the globe. It seems likely that the geographic distribution of HCM is not at all random, but has actually resulted in areas of high or low frequency of occurrence. If enough data could be collected, it would certainly make an interesting thesis for someone pursuing his graduate degree in Geography, wouldn't it? Hmmmm. I'll have to think about that one

In practical terms, HCM is probably still considered to be pretty rare based on the actual number of cases that we 'see and hear about'. My local cardio has been practicing for a very long time and is very much sought after in the local community... but even he has only ever seen a handful of HCM cases in all his years of practice.

Jim
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Yeah,
              You also have to realize that some cardiologists, even today, haven’t seen any HCM patients because they wouldn’t recognize HCM if they fell over it.

The (relatively) old statistics would indicate a very low ratio of HCM patients, but as more doctors are becoming more familiar with the condition, the estimate of people with it is becoming greater. Right now the estimate is one in five hundred, but I bet in time this ratio will get bigger also.

I’ve had HCM all my life, and displayed almost all the classical symptoms, yet they were brushed off by my doctors, and I wasn’t properly diagnosed until I was 71 years old. Where does that leave me in the statistical estimations?
              Burt

Comment

1 in 500 people have HCM - in rough numbers that is 500,000 people in the USA alone!

We are not so odd after all are we!

Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X