If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where did hcm come from in my familyand how far it goes back

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jujemendoza2002 Find out more about jujemendoza2002
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where did hcm come from in my familyand how far it goes back

I was wondering if I'll ever figure out for sure where the hcm came from in my family, it's been running strong, my dad had it and died at 30 and I have it and I have chf and atrail fib to go with it, my son died at 6yrs from sd and my daughter got a abnormal ekg and thats all I know besides my grandma had some sort of heart disease, but I got no name to go with it ( my dads mom) and my aunt max was diagnosed a few years back then turned around and said she was missed diagnosed although she had poss. symtoms, then later her son my cousin died suddenly at 40yrs from a heart attack they said from eating to much mc'ds, I think that sounds wrong
    I was next to kin when my grandmother died and I had power of atterney can I get her records from when she was living 10 years back so I can figure out the name of her disease, hcm or not?
    Also my dad's side of the family seems to shun this hcm thing like they are to good to have this problem, my aunt more so.
    Jen

Re: where did hcm come from in my familyand how far it goes

Hi

You can get the records but it may take a long time and since they didn't call it HCM, it probably won't be definitive even if you got them.

Your best bet is to make sure you and yours get the best treatment and it sounds like you should have an ICD if you don't already have one.

Take care,

S

Comment

In my family as far back as i have gotten was my grandmother on my fathers side an Aunt, 2 uncles, a brother a neice a great neice my son and myself, we figure my father is the carrier but doesn't have the disease, it has to be my father because my half brother and i have different mothers but same father and he died from the disease, we all thought until i got it it was from my brothers moms side but being i have it it has to be our fathers side of the family

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi,

Something that was helpful for getting information about my husband's health was getting a copy of his dad's death certificate (his dad died when he was 5). The cause of death was from acute cardiac failure due to "HYPERTROPHY". An autopsy was performed which showed thickening in the heart. This was a key in finding out where my husband ended up with HOCM.

Paula

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X