If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question what's being done................

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jujemendoza2002 Find out more about jujemendoza2002
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question what's being done................

I would like to know how many schools are getting or have got defibrillators and if any of the other hcm'rs are fighting to get defrillators put in their local schools and if so what are you doing to get this done? Also I have read once that schools in Italy screen's their students prior to starting playing sports and that has helped at protecting student's from becoming ill or sudden death, why don't the schools here do that, it just don't make much sense ?
    Jen

Re: question what's being done................

Hi, Jen,

Check out all the posts by Sharon Bates about the Anthony Bates Foundation. Also check www.AnthonyBates.org

Rhoda

Comment

thanks, i will.
      Jen

Comment

Hi Jen,
        Hope you are doing well!

I am here at the HCMA Annual Meeting and making some great contacts on bringing AED's into the schools. Every state has different reaquirements & road blocks. But it is time for us to start working together to build a better presence nationally. Ideas and fundraising efforts are welcome.

My hope and expectation will be to assist in that effort. Staying on top of any national campaign can be quite overwhelming.

Have a wonderful weekend -- we will talk again soon!
        Best Regards
        Sharon Bates

www.AnthonyBates.org

Comment

Hi Jen,

As a parent of a teenager with HCM who was saved by an AED I realize the neccessisty of these units. Our family has worked with the Nevada Heart Assn. and joined a group called Project Heartbeat to help raise awareness and promote PAD programs in our city. We had to go to our legislature to help pass bills to get them in our local high schools. It has been a slow process. At first we offered to donate one to my son's high school, before the bill was mandated, and we were flatly turned down! Another group that is doing wonderful things is NCED National Center for Early Defibrillation. You can go to their website and get some good info.

Nancy

Comment

Nancy,

It is wonderful to hear that your son was saved by an AED!!! We hear so many tragedies, it is great to hear of successes. Since this clearly did not happen at school, where and how did it happen?

Rhoda

Comment

Rhoda,

He was actually at a junior high school field playing football. He was saved by paramedics with an AED. As is was wonderful that the paramedics saved him, it still took almost 6 min. for them to get there from 2 blocks away. He was just lucky that there was a station so close. As is the case in so many cities with traffice etc. many people don't live because of issue of time.

Comment

hey--- i know this is kind of an old post but thats ok..haha... anywho im in maryland and was diagnosed almost 5 months ago with HCM and im 16. right now a family friend and i are working to get questions in sports physicals for all athletes, and getting questionable students tested for HCM and other cardio problems.

i did a report and found the stuff about italy too. ever since 1971 they have done heart screenings for all athletes...i found this ironic just like you did....when will the US catch up!?!? baby steps...
                ~janelle*
                \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X