If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New symptom since Myectomy - headaches?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Dee Find out more about Dee
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New symptom since Myectomy - headaches?

Hi - I'm coming to the "been there, done that" experts once again for some help. Dylan has a new symptom since his myectomy - headaches. He had a couple of them last week (1st week post surgery) when it was time for bed and I attributed it to being extra tired and worn out from playing outisde and still recuperating. But this morning when he woke up, he kept saying that when he sat up his head hurt and he wanted to just keep laying down. He's such a trooper when it comes to pain and is always anxious to get up and get going that I have to believe it's pretty severe pain for him to complain and WANT to stay in bed. After he felt better and was sitting on the potty (sorry for the visual ) he complained again and was putting his head on his knees. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? To my not completely informed brain it sounds like a blood pressure issue. He's still taking 1/2 dose of his beta-blocker - is it possible this is now making his blood pressure TOO low? He has his check with his PC tommorrow and as long as he seems ok now I plan on waiting till tommorrow to talk to him about this. Unless it sounds like something I should call about?? Any suggestions, ideas would be appreciated and thank you so much as always.
    Dee, Mom to Dylan
    (Almost 7 yrs old, HOCM, Endocarditis/Stroke 1/01, Myectomy/Valve Repair 4/04)

Re: New symptom since Myectomy - headaches?

Dee,
    Check with the PC and inform the cardiologist as well. It may be nothing - it may be aa virus, it may be b/p... or he may be under a little bit of stress.

Check with the docs and I am sure they will be helpful.

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

If it’s low blood pressure laying down with his feet up should make the headache go away. (Whether it does or not would be good information for the doctor to have.) Personally I hope it’s a bug that will be gone in a matter of hours.

Tell me, is Dylan well enough to get into trouble yet? – Got’ta keep mommy hopping.
      Burt

Comment

Dee, Have you checked his pulse when he is having a headache? It may be helpful for the doc when you talk to him. Also, check his pulse occais when he is feeling well so you have a baseline. You don't want to overdo it as kids are so quick to pick up on Mom's anxiety. A very slow pulse may not be able to keep the BP up where it should be. If his pulse is normal during the headaches, then you may have helped to rule out that problem. Sure hope you have a good checkup tomorrow and this new problem ends quickly. Linda

Comment

Working...
        X