If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Son

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burton Borrok
    replied
    Re: My Son

Jim,
    You were in the delivery room with your wife when you found out that men were as culpable as woman? Isnít that being a little too prepared? Iím not surprised she bit you.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie
    replied

I think we need to Laugh-every chance we can! Considering all the REALLY DUMB statements Medical Personnel have made to us over the Years- it will be a PLEASURE to provide this info to my Son, so he can share it with his new (I hope not) Cardiologist. I was unaware there is an info packet available for Patients & Medical People. How do I get this for My Son & a copy for the cardiologist at university of Wisconsin? I guess I spent too many years thinking I was suffering alone (actually I was diagnosed about 14 years ago, but tried to shrug off all the aches & pains-till I couldn't any more- is that call denial?)
    Anyway, Boys & Girls - we're in this together!
    RONNIE

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

We're all behind you, Shirley. We may be having a bit of fun here right now with the men vs. women thing, but please don't think that we're any less concerned about you and your family. You've been in our thoughts and prayers since learning of your surgery, the loss of your neice, and your son's diagnosis. Hang in there. You're obviously becoming an important role model for your family, and perhaps they will learn from the unfortunate circumstances you have all had to deal with lately.

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied

well guys does it really matter being we are not all the same sex here, i think men and women both have it here, the important thing is get your family tested if possible, it took me having open heart surgery and my neice dieing the same day for my kids to listen and Dr. Gilligan talking with them so go figure, my daughter is going on the 9th for her echo, she has had palpitations since she was 15 years old, she had an echo 6 months ago at a free clinic but my PCP doctor told her he wants another he said he didn't care if she had one yesterday he was ordering one so we'll see. Everyone have a great day

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Originally posted by Burton Borrok

Come on ladies, We all know that HCM is because of the women. If they didnít have children none of this would ever happen. (Neither would a bunch of other diseases for that matter.)Burt
    Now Burton... THAT one is simply not going to fly here. LOL. I was in the delivery room with my wife when my son was born, and know all too well that childbirth is our fault as well. In fact, i think i still have the bite marks on my arm to prove it! (Hey all i asked was if she could stop pushing for a minute so we could adjust the mirror and get a better view of the birth.)

Jim

Leave a comment:

• bryan
    replied

Just took a look at mine.. 8/men 2/women..

Leave a comment:

• mjesaitis
    replied

In my little family tree, in those of us who have been diagnosed with HCM: 6 are women, 5 are men. So I guess odds are better for the women

Matt

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

FYI.. My GRANDFATHER, FATHER, UNCLE and sister have/had HCM... as do I and my niece...looks like 50/50 to me!
    Tell your doctor that one!

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Come on ladies,
    We all know that HCM is because of the women. If they didnít have children none of this would ever happen. (Neither would a bunch of other diseases for that matter.)

Now what other problems could we hang on women? Hmmm, . . let me think . . .

By the way Shirley, Iím sure you know my post was completely tongue in cheek. Iím having a heck of a time myself trying to get my kids to get echoís. So far they are showing no symptoms. At least my daughter is having the twins tested. Itís one of my major worries, along with my familial hyperlipidemia - which is passed on from generation to generation.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Cynaburst
    replied

I want to go see the doctor your son goes to....Maybe then I wouldn't have HCM.......But unfortunately, I am living proof of his being incorrect. I can promise you that I got it from my DAD....who, by the way, got it from HIS DAD.

This amount of ignorance in physicians scares me.

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied

I knew you would not disappoint us Lisa. In spite of the seriousness of this subject I got a major laugh from your response. Thanks for that. Love you too Lisa.

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

Pam - this is for you...AAAAHHHHHHHH

Ronnie, Now let me respond to you... This is completely incorrect information and the doctor requires a great deal of education ASAP. I would be more than happy to send him a packet of information to assist him in his learning. If you would like to know my "gut" reaction to your post...please note my responce to Pam above

To all:
    This is a "Lisa Venting Moment"..they do not come often but they are needed from time to time...
    AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
    OK we need to REALLY get the word out there as to what HCM IS AND IS NOT!!!!!!!!!
    I think we make some progress...only to be hit with "only women carry the gene"...or... "you need an alcohol septal ablation or a heart transplant" within 1 hour of each other..... AAHHHHHHHHHHH...

I will now resume my normal behavior....

In short...ladies and gentlemen...we have a great deal of work to do!

Love,
    Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied

RONNIE

That doctor is SO SO SO off base. HCM is an equal opportunity genetic disorder!!!!! I can't emphasize that enough. Your son definately needs to educate his doctor and probably needs to find a new doctor. Bottom line is, if he passed the gene, your grandchildren will have the mutation that makes HCM possible. Please urge him to see another doctor. Also, contact Lisa to get him and his doctor HCM packets that explain what the disease is and lots of info about it. Show him our site, especially the front pages about diagnosis, treatment, complications, etc. He should find it interesting.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied

Shirley, I am sorry to hear of your son's dx. It is a worry no parent needs. My oldest girl 24 will be tested in early April and the 23 and 17 year old in May. I am so concerned and already worrying too much for my own good. So I like everyone else know where you are coming from. My thoughts are with you and you family. He is lucky to have you as his pioneer. Be well , Pam

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied

Ronnie , I can't wait to read Lisa's reaction to your son's Dr. saying it was only passed down by women! I won't respond because I gotta see What she says ! I think his Dr. needs a packet of info and your son might need a new Dr.

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X