If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Nephews echo.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bryan Find out more about bryan
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Nephews echo.

I was wondering if someone could help with my nephews echo. It states that there wass no evidence of any myocardial hypertrophy. The left ventricular size was 4.2cm (upper limit of normal equal to 4.1 cm). his left atrium was 2.85 cm (upper limit of normal equal to 2.3 cm) Therfore the left atrium appeared marginally enlarged. Does this mean anything? And if so should an eye be kept on it?

Re: My Nephews echo.

How old is he? How talk and how much does he weigh?

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hes 6.. and for the weight forgive me, i cant convert kg he is 30.5 and his height is 122cm.. hope this helps

Comment

Based on a new article that is due to be published any day now...
        Based on your family history and the fact his measurements are upper end - he should be looked at yearly, unless you see symptoms then bring him in sooner.

Good luck.
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Ok its been a while since Ive touched on this subject. But has had an ECHO at NEMC pediatric cardiology seeing he is only 7. Will last time he was there the Dr said everything looked fine except ihs left ventrical was a bit enlarged. He said he would see him back in a year and a half. Well at one of My Dr appointments I spoke with Dr Maron about this and also mentioned that my nephew will be starting football in Aug. I asked Dr Maron if he thought it would be a good idea if we where to schedule another ECHO before football. Dr Maron said he understands my concerns and it would be a wise decision. He also told me he would be willing to come down to pediatrics and look at the tape when he was done. He also explained how the HCM clinic doesnt generally look at young patients but being my nephew he would look at it if I wanted him to. I agreed thinking it couldnt hurt. So Dr Maron asked me when they were done with the ECHO if I could ask the Dr to page him and he would come down. Well when I asked the Dr he basically refused. Saying that Dr Maron is a pediatric cardiologist so he shouldnt deal with children, Just like he wouldnt deal with adults. This got me a little ticed. Dr Maron was being a nice guy offering to look to basically cure my worries, and this guys an A** about it. Then he goes on asking my sister what she is doing here. He said "I thought I told you a year and a half" by this time I was about to tell him he could shobe his stethascope some where hes not suppose to. Then he goes on saying he can tell by just looking at the EKG that he doesnt have HCM cause his EKC is fine. He said that Dr Seidmans and here staff had found that the EKG and HCM has a correlation. I thought this not to be true? Is this a NEW finding? Then after all this he asks me if he and his Med students could tkae a listen to ME. IM an ADULT!!! Didnt he say something about sticking with adults and children. I let him though. But anyways the echo came out fine he said that his left ventrical is on the high end of normal but its nothing to worry about. He wants to see him back in a year and a half. Is that good or should it be every year? Sorry for such a long post but I needed to vent to people who UNDERSTAND.

Thanks
          Bryan

Comment

Bryan, I totally understand your concern and anger. It's hard to remain calm and cool (for the child's sake as much as anything) when they tick you off like that. I take my kids for an echo annually ever since my youngest was 7. I'd keep an eye on this. It may be nothing, but you don't want to be taking chances. By the way, congratulations for taking the high road. I'm sure that was tough!

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X