If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Update ...... Seeking 2nd opinion

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Sabrina42064 Find out more about Sabrina42064
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Update ...... Seeking 2nd opinion

    Hello all! Just thought I would write a quick update on my 2 girls.

    After seeing our Pediatric Endocronoligst on Thursday, and discussing the HCM ( possible ) and PDA findings with him I have decide to get a second opinion and repeat echos done on both the girls. I was told the 10 year old had a PDA with a slight murmur, the peds endo didn't quite agree with this diagnosis nor did he agree or understand the elevated B/P and mild heart wall thickening in the 7 year old. He checked the 7 year olds B/P in his office and it was 106/55 and 108/60, both which are normal b/p's.

    So......needless to say I am still really CONFUSED!!!!
    I have yet to hear from the Peds Cardio that had us go for a kidney ultrasound and blood work, I have asked for all med records be sent to the endo!

    I feel like I am getting the run around or even some misdiagnosis. My mother in law went in to have a ICD and came out not getting one after all.
    The electophysiologist could not make her heart go into a fatal arythmia! SO.......I guess that was good news...........but WHY the fainting spells....they are going to change up her meds!!!!!

    Ok......enough for now......we'll post again after the 2nd opinion and the bloodwork/kidney results come in!!! GOD I HOPE MY INSURANCE COVERS ALL THESE ECHOS!!!!! LOL !!

    GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!
    New to HCM

  • #2
    Re: New Update ...... Seeking 2nd opinion

    Sabrina,

    There is skepticism in the HCM doctors' eyes that a negative EP test really predicts the risk for sudden cardiac death. Here are the 5 risk factors:

    1. history of fainting
    2. septum of 3+cm
    3. history of blood pressure failing to rise during stress test
    4. history of ventricular tachycardia
    5. family history of early sudden cardiac death

    These are the factors that should be taken in account when deciding whether or not she needs an ICD. Sometimes one factor is enough to get you one. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3. It depends on which factor she has. She really needs to see a specialist.

    Reenie
    Reenie

    ****************
    Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

    Comment

    Today's Birthdays

    Collapse

    Working...
    X