If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another question for the people who really know about hcm

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

I LOVE DERRICK Find out more about I LOVE DERRICK
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another question for the people who really know about hcm

hello everyone ..its been a while but so much has been going on ...in the middle of all my troubles my aunt goes on a cruise and had a heart attack on the ship! so the ship drops her off in curasal and it was just alot of problems well to make a long story short shes home and thank got she s fine now i have another question to ask can my son go skiing? i mean is it ok , or is it dangerous? just wondering and since i really cant ask his dr.( i think the man thinks we are stalking him ) since we had all the trouble with the schools and stuff so i really dont want to call him anymore except for when he has to go see him so i was thinking maybe some one here would know any answer would be appreciated thank you all so much denise

Re: another question for the people who really know about hc

I would think that getting the normal functions of school started again would be a better start than heading off to ski -

how are you doing on getting the school moving?

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

hi lisa how are you oh have i got news for you ! ok 1st of all thank you for all you do with this site i made an appt. with dr. maron dec. 16 as for school derrick is going to be home schooled but thank god he will be getting an education. i got a lawyer thanks to lee s links and they were the ones that got the bd. of ed. to do something for him. and as for the landlord, i signed the lease and he never sent it back so i think he just thought about it and said forget it! well everything seems to be going well so far thank god and once again i wanna thank you for all your help really you are an angel from god i believe that! denise

Comment

dear denise,

i'm glad things are improving. i can't imagine how your son could ski if he can't climb stairs, though.

keep us posted and i know dr. maron will take good care of your son. you should ask dr. maron about the skiing, too.

sarah

Comment

Hi,
          This skiing question hit home with me. My daughter loves to ski here, she uses the chairlift and the tow rope. I asked her family doctor, who seems to know way more than the cardioligists, and she said that yes she could ski, she couldn't cross country ski though and not competitive skiing. She does know that she has to stop and rest in between runs though. And any funny feelings means an automatic call home. Plus we are lucky and my husband's cousin owns the ski hill so she knows everyone there.
          Life is too short to worry about the trival things in life, So live life to the fullest.

Comment

Karen, skiing was the most difficult for us to give up, so I know this is a difficult decision for you. You have to involve the docs in the decision as you have already done. Then, if you decide to continue with the skiing, it sounds like you have things in pretty good order - knowing those around you(I assume they are aware of your daughter's situation?), and preparing her for probs. She needs to be aware of symptoms to watch for and willing to respond to them right away, not wait for them to get "a little worse". Keep in mind, using the tow rope uses the arms, this is increased work for the heart - you must use a body stiffness which is similar to the principles in wt lifting and so is not the best ski lift to use, but usu the lift that will keep her nearer the base of the slope. That's a tradeoff. Another problem is dehydration - you don't always think of this in cold weather, but you lose a lot of fluid thru breathing. How many people carry a water bottle on the slopes? You also use up energy heating that cold air as it enters the lungs. You prob have considered these things but they might help you or someone else. Our decision was easier to make because of circumstances, the risk wasn't worth it for us. Linda

Comment

Thanks for clearifying that. Sarah just read what you posted too. I never thought about the tow rope and the strain, I was just thinking of the climbing factor. I'm glad I posted. Yes the family is aware of her condition, it is a small community so I am lucky and most of the workers know us. It was a very hard decision to make. We have had to take so much away from her this year. She has promised that if she does have any funny feelings that she will immediately go for help. She also goes with some really good friends and they are great, they are actually the ones who made me aware that she was having trouble in gym and stuff. She does take a water bottle to the ski hill, and I also send plenty of money for her to get drinks and food. Thanks once again for everyones imput, it sure helps.
              Life is too short to worry about the trival things in life, So live life to the fullest.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X