If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what age do you think its right that kids should know?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bryan Find out more about bryan
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what age do you think its right that kids should know?

I was just wondering at what age do people think its right for kids to know they might have this disease. My 7 year old nephew had an echo in July at which time they said his heart was a bit bigger than the average 6 1/2 year olds. Obvioulsy he knew they where looking at his heart because we had to tell him what the echo does. Well in school yesterday when he was talking to his teacher he said "my uncle has a bad heart, and I might to" and the teacher got mad and told him his mother should have never told him that because it was wrong cause now all he will do is worry. Personally I didnt see anything wrong with it, you never know in the long run it might benifit that he told someone, incase anything should happen

Bryan

Re: At what age do you think its right that kids should know

I believe in telling kids the truth. Age appropriate truth!

I think there can be a lot of harm done when you don't tell them what's up. They might feel bad and not understand or they might not tell you when things do bother them because they think it's normal.

That teacher was WAY wrong to react that way. He said that he "might" have a bad heart. He sounded fine to me.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

The teacher was in the wrong in this case. If she felt that the parent wasn't parenting well, the LAST person you tell is the child!!! What is the world is this person thinking?/ Telling him, oh _now_ you're just going to worry and, by the way, your parent's are stupid/wrong/not taking care of you. Yeah, right. Great teaching skills.

7 is old enough to run around and play and old enough to understand basic health about colds and being sick. 7 is old enough to be honest to.

If I were his parents, I would sit down with the teacher and discuss proper behavior! That is just plain wrong what she did. If she had concerns, then she brings them up to the parents. Period.

later,

S

Comment

HI!

Certain - I agree - only the true!
        This is something he will have to deal always...
        I guess the teacher didn't understand the meaning of "bad heart".
        That is way it is inportant what kind of words we use with little children when we talk with them.
        We thaught our son to say he has "a problem with his heart", instead of calling this a disease - it helped him to explain others what is going on inside and to cope socially.
        Part of the problem is that people can not understand something inside, while you act like a normal child/person in your evry day routine/class.
        I think it will be a good idea for the parents to up-date the teacher and the other kids in the class. It is possible to bring a book to the class or pictures. ONLY after geeting the child agreement to this kind of activity plan with the class and preparing together the activity.
        Wishes for healh, peace and love!

Daniela E-H, Mother to Matan-Ben (13 years old) who had his AICD implantation (29/03/04) and Myectomy (14/12/08) and Noga (4 years old) not affected
        Haifa - Israel.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X