If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

GregK Find out more about GregK
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael

It has almost been one year since I lost my son Michael. He died in my arms at 12:15 AM on October 17th 2002. I actually had to look into his eyes and tell the doctors to let him go. I will never forget that violent moment. What just happened? I couldn’t comprehend what I was saying. Just minutes earlier, doctors were discussing moving him out of ICU to a recovery room. Michael was just 7. I dropped him off at school that morning – he was so happy. I received the call at noon.

Michael was diagnosed two years prior. After a long battery of tests his doctors and we decided that beta-blockers were the best course. Thereafter there were no symptoms or side effects.

I am aware that alternative programs were/are available, however, am not sure I would recommend this approach to another parent. We didn’t get a second chance.

I miss Michael!!! I am so sorry.

Re: Michael

Dear Greg,

I'm deeply sorry for your loss. We are all huanted when our loved ones die, by what we think we ought to have done, the things we could have done, should have done. Every single person in my family believes that my father's death is their fault. It is none of our faults. You made the best decisions you could with the information you had.

The best way to honor Michael is by living the life he would want you to have.

best wishes,

s

Comment

Dear Greg,

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your son. I agree with all that Sarah said. We're here for you and we understand.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Dear Greg, I'm so sorry. I know Michael was a very special child and I thank you for sharing him with us. I hope we are able to lend support and some strength to you and the rest of the family as you go through this difficult time. Our prayers are with you. Linda

Comment

I sit here in tears thinking of your loss, your pain, your Michael. I am sorry that this had to happen... I am sorry for so much...that more could not be done, that he is not here to play, learn and grow.
          One can only look at this horrific events and think, hope and pray that somehow, something positive may happen...maybe Michael, his story, his life and his death will teach us a lesson so that more children are not lost.
          I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers today and on October 17...
          Please know that you are not alone, you and your family are in our thoughts and that your little boy will always be with you.

Peace,

Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Greg, I know tomorrow will be a powerful emotional day for you.
            Some time ago I wrote a piece that I related to just that.
            You come to this Earth for a short time.
            And like a pebble thrown into a still pond you make a splash and then leave.
            But the ripple you leave behind goes on forever.
            Like the ripple I know thoughts of Michael will be with you forever.
            Good Luck
            Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
            So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
            Good luck and stay well.
            Glen

Comment

God Bless Michael on this day and for all to come.

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X