If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roller Coasters and other amusement park rides

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

BrodyB Find out more about BrodyB
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller Coasters and other amusement park rides

I just read a post about not riding roll coasters. Are there any restrictions against amusement park rides? I can understand about not participating in competitive sports or other activities, but don't understand the restriction to the rides.
    Brody

George Bernard Shaw

Re: Roller Coasters and other amusement park rides

I think it has something to do with the adrenaline rush. Any normal healthy person on an amusement ride experiences it... quickened heartbeat, skipped beats, etc. It's makes no difference whether it's from physical stimuli (lifting weights, competitive sports, etc.) or a perceived threat (as in a roller coaster ride)... the body calls for the same response from the heart in either situation, and in HCM'ers, this sudden 'burst' of work from the heart can trigger a lethal event.
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Jim has it correct.. Some people have no problem with mild rides..it is the ones that turn you upside down (messes up the pressures in the body) - Drop you very fast...(making your heart race) and other forms of excitement... that can cause BIG problems...
      ALSO to those with devices..CHECK to see if the ride is run by magnets...which is very common these days. It may mess up your programming!
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

If anyone has any questions about rides you can and cannot do (ICD wise) at Disney World I can let you know. I know for sure Rock N Roller Coaster is a definate no for those of us with ICD's. Don't ask guest relations I asked them just to see what they said and they told me to stay away from microwaves!

I'm sure each person is different with reactions to rides. I'm an adrenaline junkie I guess you could say working in EMS and riding any thrill ride I can get my hands on! As a side note the new Mission Space ride is out of this world. I had no problems with it but a lot of "normal" people have gotten sick and very disoriented with it.

I think with rides if you don't think you should do it DON'T. Your body knows better than anyone else.

Mary S.

Comment

Mary,

I got a chance to ride the new Mission: SPACE ride at Disney. I too am an adrenaline junky but there are some things I can no longer do, and this was one. In my particular case, I believe it is more of a problem because of my CHF. Just too much pressure for me to handle. Like you said, I didn't think I should do it, so I shouldn't have... BUT I had to try.

Oh well... at least I got to do it once and survive, and it was awesome. Maybe just a little scarier for me than most people.

Matt

(this is what I looked like as we were blasting off!)

Comment

Matt,

I'm smiling. I have always loved roller coasters but since I don't much like amusement parks, I've seldom ridden them. And since HCM I've realized I should probably avoid them. But we were in Legoland in May with grandchildren, children, and friends. After a few gentle rides, some went off to a new ride and I tagged along. I've forgotten the name--the Dragon or some such. I looked at the set-up and asked one of the attendants, "This isn't really a roller coaster, is it?" She shook her head, no; I gave her my pack and water, and joined the rest in the car.

It started slowly as we wandered through the dragon's den. Then I saw sun through this dark curtain in front of me. "It IS a roller coaster," I thought! "I shouldn't be on this!" A quick glance around and I realized there was no getting off. So I decided I'd enjoy it, no matter what happened. And I did! It really was not a major coaster, but my fear sure made it more exciting to me. And when I got off I was pretty dizzy for a few minutes, but otherwise no ill effects.

I guess I am lucky, but I'm glad I did it! :P

Pat

Comment

I think those of us with HCM tend to over do. From reading these we are all alike. Have to have a little excitement in our lives. 10 years ago, I para sailed, what a thrill. I do now know I would not do it again, but I did it once.
              Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
              ICD&Pacemaker 1996
              Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
              Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Hi All,

Good for you Pat! Ya gotta have some excitement right? We certainly can't spend the rest of our lives sitting on the couch watching TV! I figure as long as i know the risks, and am willing to accept them, i'll push the envelope from time to time

Jim

Comment

I'm glad to see that some of you are enjoying life! Isn't the risk the same as certain sports that provide an adrenaline rush, or perhaps even sex?

"The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the diseases" Voltaire

Comment

Bert,
                    I enjoyed your post. What is missing here on the board sometimes is the fact that most of us with HCM are in fact very normal and do very normal things. You point out a topic that come up more often over the phone then on the board... sex. "If competitive sports are out then what about sex" This very question was raised over dinner with 4 HCM experts and I must say it was a very funny conversation. Here was the take - -It was felt that if sports were to hard on the heart what about sex as that can be very "taxing". One expert said, you do not require training and you do not need to be in "top shape" to particiapate, that is the difference. the second said, you can start and stop when you want that is a second difference. One said it is not "competitive" and that makes a difference.
                    And I said - I really would not care what you say because I would do it anyway ...at that point the 4 experts (all men) turned red faced and the converstaion ended there.

Life is to short to not participate - but it must be done with care and useing the knowledge of how to protect ourselves.

Be well all!
                    Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I think Bert and I are going to disagree again.

Riding a roller coaster is probably similar to some sports in terms of getting an adreline rush, but I don't think it is anything at all like sex.

First, unless you are into certain forms of intercourse, your experience is not going to be as jarring (literally) as a coaster, nor is it going to scare you (or you hope not!)

Secondly, in both sex and sports, your physical response is "true" --it happens because you're active and in a roller coaster, you are passive. The adrenline doesn't have any escape hatch; the ride just ends. Can that be good?

Personally, I've never had any problems ever with the old nudge nudge. I think it is the kind of thing that you make work at your ability. The roller coaster is not going to accomodate your need to slow down or get a glass of water.

I'm all for having fun (in whatever manner you choose), but I just don't think you can compare these things one-to-one.

I think Bert suspects we all sit at home afraid to take a walk for fear of having a chest pain. I don't think he should have any worries.

S

Comment

Message deleted... only forum moderators may joke about HCM and sex.

Comment

Dear Jim,

Please don't forget that this is a family-friendly site and we must remember that children may be reading it.

We may want to consider an adults-only discussion thread for concerns around this particular facet of HCM life. Whaddya think, Lisa?

And, no, I don't think anyone is giving up the "wild thing" for HCM, either!

take care,

S

Comment

Sarah writes...

Dear Jim. Please don't forget that this is a family-friendly site and we must remember that children may be reading it.
                            Are ya kidding me? Perhaps you should re-read your own post.

I give up.

Comment

Jim,

I was being facetious.

S

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X