If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help???

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mcguirestick Find out more about mcguirestick
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help???

Hi,
    My Father has been Diagnosed with HC. I am due to have an operation involving a General Anasetic. The Hospital has found I am Brady Cardic with Arythmias but are refusing to do an Echo to check me for HC. Basicaly the question is. Is it safe to have a GA without knowing for sure if you have HC or not. And if not what needs to be done?
    Thanks

Re: Can anyone help???

Hello. If you father has been diagnosed with HCM you must be screened too. I don't know of any specific problems with anesthesia and HCM with the exception of an epidural. This procedure may make the blood pressure plummet. You should discuss this with your doctor. There is an organization there in the UK that is very familiar to the HCMA and it also deals with HCM. Please check out www.cardiomyopathy.org. I am sure that others will post replies to you shortly, but that would be a start for you. I wish you luck.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

mcquirestick:

Hi, I am hoping it all works out for you. I know how upsetting this must be for you. Don't do anything that you are not comfortable with and make sure you are in good hands. The web site Reenie mentioned is a good one, so please check it out.

I'm wishing you well, Anna

Comment

Hi,

The Cardiomyopathy Association of the UK helped Lisa start the HCMA. They can help you find a doctor who will screen you for HCM --which you must have done.

As for anesthesia, I believe it is epidurals that are the big problem, not so much GA. However, your arrthymias and bradycardia are almost a bigger concern for the anesthesia. I would make sure that you really really need the procedure, that it requires general and that if so, you have an anethesiologist who is experienced with high risk patients and they give you stuff they can reverse immediately if need be.

take care and keep us posted,

Sarah

Comment

The UK system is very different than the US system - The Cardiomyopathy Association in the UK is the best place for you to find the help you need.
          Best wishes,
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X