If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nieces and nephews?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Bill Find out more about Bill
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nieces and nephews?

When i was diagnosed with HCM I made sure that my daughter and my two grandchildren went for ECHOS. But I'm wondering -- how about my brother's kids? I know he needs to be tested, but what about his two boys if HIS tests are negative? Seems to me they would need to be tested anyway.

Re: Nieces and nephews?

Dear Bill,

If your brother is clear, then the kids are probably clear but there is a teensy, tiny chance that they might not be, so they should get echos too, but don't have to go every year like they would if their dad had HCM.

take care,

S

Comment

It is possible that your brother carries the gene yet has not expressed it.
      Looking at full family histories - your parents, aunts, uncles, and grandparents is very important --- if there is any heart related issues or early deaths (pre age 50) THEN I woul surely test your brothers kids - IF you are the only one then I would discuss it with the childrens health care provider and let them make the call.
      This is not an easy answer.
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I recently asked Dr. M Maron about this same thing. My sister tested negative, (when she was younger, but hasnt gotten tested in about 15 years) and he said my nephew should definatly get tested. His reasoning was exactly what Sarah and Lisa said about carrying the gene and not expressing it.

Comment

I have a twin brother was has tested negative for HCM so far. He has had his kids checked just to be on the safe side since we are identical

Our kids have been checked too. Daughter was ok, son's left ventricle was minutely enlarged, so they will be following him a little closer

Comment

If you are identical twins, you share the same genetics. That means that your brother has the genotype for HCM like you do. (Unless I'm way wrong here.) Even if he hasn't expressed it, he is likely to have it diagnosed at some later time. Now, the next question is, how would you/he feel about doctors exploring the identical twin issue with HCM? There may have been research on it before, but I'm not sure. I'd think it would be something they're interested in, especially since your brother doesn't have HCM diagnosed yet. And someone tell me if I'm overstepping my bounds here!

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

When we were in Minneapolis a few weeks ago, they were very interested in the fact that my brother is showing no signs of HCM and I do. I think it would be cool to do some sort of a study, but I don't know if either of us would be interested in travelling to get a study done.

I did have to bug the heck out of him to get tested though.

I don't think you are overstepping.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X