If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you


No announcement yet.

Need help finding a specialist


About the Author


MelliJ Find out more about MelliJ
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need help finding a specialist

    Hello everyone,

    My boyfriend was diagnosed with HCM as a teenager - he is now 28 and has been stable for at least 10 years. However, a recent EKG showed some fluid around the heart. His regular cardiologist has said to come back for a followup EKG in 4-6 months. While this doctor is very nice, and I'm sure he is a very good cardiologist, he is not a specialist in HCM. We need to find a specialist. Can anyone offer suggestions? We live in Connecticut, and can travel pretty much anywhere in the country.

    Thank you,


  • #2
    Re: Need help finding a specialist

    Dear Melanie,

    Please have your boyfriend call the office at 973-983-7429. We don't post names and numbers here as choosing a doctor is a complicated process that we feel is best done with as much info as possible.

    There are a number of good doctors on the Eastern Seaboard.

    And it does sound like it is time for a specialist!



    • #3
      Re: Need help finding a specialist

      WE are in the office today if you need anything.
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

      Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)


      Today's Birthdays