If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medic Alert

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Dee Find out more about Dee
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medic Alert

I need to get a Medic Alert bracelet for Dylan, but I'm kind of stuck as far as what to put on it. Do any of you have them for yourself or your children, and if so, what does it say on it?

I guess I'm wondering what's the easiest words to use to explain his defect and what to look for first with him...

Thanx in advance as always

Dee
    Dee, Mom to Dylan
    (Almost 7 yrs old, HOCM, Endocarditis/Stroke 1/01, Myectomy/Valve Repair 4/04)

"Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with obstruction"
    "prior stroke"
    "medications:XXXXX"
    No nitro
    clear that with your doctor but that should be fine.
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

This is on my husband's bracelet. Hope we help you.

"Pacer
      Cardioverter
      Defibrillator
      Hypertrophic
      Cardiomyopathy
      No MRI"
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Medic Alert

Dear Dee,

Be sure you get an actual Medic Alert bracelet from medicalert.org. They keep your medical records as well as family and doctor contact info on file, plus anything that is "good to know" but not urgent enough for the bracelet. Medics will get this info when they call.

They can also help you figure out what to put on it. I spent half an hour on the phone with a nurse one day for mine!!! They are very nice.

Mine says "A-fib, cardiomyopathy, takes warfarin. Allerg morphine, compazine."

take care,

S

Comment

Lisa, why "no Nitro"?
          Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
          So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
          Good luck and stay well.
          Glen

Comment

Nitro is contraindicated in HCM (refer to the PDR)
            It is a vasodilator and in most patients with HCM it can make symptoms worse and even cause death in some.
            THERE are a very very few people with very "small vessels" that may benefit from minimal therapy from such meds. but the overwhelming # will have a poor reaction to it.
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Medic alert

Both my children wear medic alert bracelets. They have for many years! These bracelets also help with school for school nurses.

My daughter's says:

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
              Artificial Mitral Valve
              Takes Propronolol and Coumadin

My son's says:Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
              Takes propronolol
              Allergic: sulpha, codiene, morphiene

Hope this helps!
              Michelle - mom to Krista and Tyler both HCM
              Krista surgeries: 3/97 myectomy, 2/99 mitral valve replacement
              Tyler surgery: 1/98 myectomy

Comment

Medic Alert

My Medic Alert Tag say's:
                Pacemaker
                Hypertrophic
                Cardiomyopathy,
                Subacute Bacterial
                Endocarditis,
                Atrial Fib,
                Takes coumadin

Yes they got it all on!
                My 1 year loves pulling on the chain and biting the medal, He is almost wearing off the writing.

Chris

Comment

bracelets

Hi all,

I have made several different bracelets for my Medic Alert since the stainless steel doesn't quite "go" with a ball gown (or other fancy outfits).

I also have a small wrist and didn't like it flopping around.

I don't have "no nitro" on mine, but I don't have room for anything else unless I go up to a 90 character size --phooey.

later,
                  S

Comment

Medic Alert Bracelets

Jewelers carry charms with the medical alert symbol on the front. They engrave the information on the back. They come in silver and gold. Some have a red background. If you're out of room on your bracelet, consider adding a charm to it for additional information.
                    Obstructive HCM, Pacemaker 1999, Septal Myectomy 2002

Comment

ouch

My arm would stretch under the weight of all the extra charms I would need!!! OHMIGOSH!! SHRINKYDINKS!! I can write the info on a Shrinky Dink, shrink it, and use that as an extra charm! I'm so excited. I love Shrinky Dinks.

(I hear you laughing out there! But you would be amazed at what people are doing with shrink plastic these days.)

Thanks, everyone.

S

Comment

Re: ouch

Originally posted by Sarah
                        My arm would stretch under the weight of all the extra charms I would need!!! OHMIGOSH!! SHRINKYDINKS!! I can write the info on a Shrinky Dink, shrink it, and use that as an extra charm! I'm so excited. I love Shrinky Dinks.

(I hear you laughing out there! But you would be amazed at what people are doing with shrink plastic these days.)

Thanks, everyone.

S
                        Sarah,

You really made my day!!! You're right, Shrinkydinks rock!! I love those things. You know, you might be onto something here...... Hmmm.

R
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I love Sarah's enthusiasm. Plus, I've seen some of her creations, they're great. Now we know what you'll be doing this wkend, Sarah. Linda

Comment

My daughter has her diagnosis, medication, allergies and her cardiologist's phone number.

Comment

Re: Medic Alert

What the heck is a "Shrinky dink"?
                              Tammy

Comment

Working...
                              X