If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diagnosis Question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Margaret Find out more about Margaret
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosis Question

I have a 10 month old boy who seems to have a slight heart murmur. His doctor has to listen closely to hear it, but it's there. She hasn't felt we need to see a cardiologist since it's so slight, but she's keeping an eye on it (or, should I say an ear!). I haven't been concerned about it until I read an article about HCM and how common it is. That's how I stumbled upon your site -- I wanted to see what the symptoms are.

I'm wondering if any of you have experience with diagnosis in a baby. I know my doctor would refer us to a pediatric cardiologist if we ask. I just hate to put my son through any invasive testing if I'm just being a neurotic mother!

I guess my question is simply, if you have a baby who was diagnosed -- how did they know to look for it?

Thanks!!

Hi. Welcome to our site. To diagnose the murmur in your son they would most likely do an echocardiogram. It's an ultrasound of the heart. Murmurs can be caused by a lot of things. I think you should probably get it checked out. The test would not be anything invasive. However, unless you have a family history of HCM or any reason to believe that's what might be wrong with him, it's most likely not HCM. Since you are sure your doctor would be happy to make the referral, go for it. All you'll get are answers. I think it would make you feel better to know. That's my two cents worth.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

my two cents

Hi

An echocardiogram will not hurt your baby in any way and it will give you HUGE piece of mind. With a murmur that early, it is simply prudent to get an echo so you can SEE what the heart looks like and rule out any problems.

take care and keep us posted,

S

Comment

My daughter was diagnosed at 4 days old because of her murmur. In fact, the pediatrician on staff at the hospital told me I couldn't take my daughter home until she had a cardiologist look at her and do some tests. We saw our pediatric cardiologist (PC) the next day. He did an EKG and echo on a 4 day old baby and diagnosed her with, at that time IHSS, but now refers to it as HCM. She is now 11 years old. Yeah, I'd say it would well be worth seeing a cardiologist. I am also going to tell you there is no family history of HCM in my family or my husbands. Just happened to show up in my daughter and son.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Michelle - mom to Krista and Tyler both HCM
        Krista surgeries: 3/97 myectomy, 2/99 mitral valve replacement
        Tyler surgery: 1/98 myectomy

Comment

Many murmurs are not serious and do not mean that a disease is present. An Echocardiogram would answer your quetions and ease your mind. Ask the doc. for an echo and I am sure they will work with you.
          is there any family history of heart problems?
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all the information. I think you're right -- I'm going to email his doctor and ask for a referral for peace of mind. My husband's side of the family has some heart issues -- mostly related to weight and smoking. But, really, we don't know the details. Knowing that checking it out won't be too hard on my sweet little baby makes it a much easier decision, too!

I'll let you know how it turns out!

-Margaret

Comment

My son was 18 months when we found out. He had a murmur that hadn't been there before, but showed up for this 18 month check-up. As it turns out though, the pediatric cardiologist says his murmur is an innocent kind that sometimes develops around kids his age - and that it more than likely will disappear. He believes it's not related to his HCM at all. My son is doing fine and is now 2 and quite a busy body. Sometimes though, you just need to go with what you feel comfortable with. An echo won't hurt at all. My son ate smarties and had a safety pop sucker while he had his echo. (The things we do when we want them to be really, really still. )

Good Luck,
              Amy N.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X