If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sprint Fidelis lead checking protocol change?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

BlueDevil Find out more about BlueDevil
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprint Fidelis lead checking protocol change?

Like most of you with the Sprint Fidelis lead, I've had mine checked via CareLink on a monthly basis since the news about the lead failure broke out. This last time, though, the clinic told me they are discontinuing monthly checks. Anyone else have the same instructions? I am wondering if this is a decision from the clinic or if it's coming to them from Medtronic...
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Re: Sprint Fidelis lead checking protocol change?

My clinic has never done the once a month checks they just have me alarmed for 8 AM daily. I am supposed to listen at that time if it sounds. It is set to do its own check daily at this time.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Good Morning. Like Pam I was alarmed, but when I saw my cardio last week he did mention that Medtronic had told the EPs to have the patients back down from the monthly checks and to just have the alarms turned on.

I hope that helps you out.

Peace,
      Nikki
      ------
      "I will live each day with the love and help of my family and friends."

Diagnosed w/ HOCM Feb. '05, ICD April '05, Myectomy Dec. 13th, 2005 at NEMC
      Wire fractured, ICD and wire replced on 10/17/2008.
      Adopted in 1979, no medical history passed on other than born with a murmur and leaky valve.
      Married 9 years to the greatest husband that a woman could want.
      Mother to a wonderful 9 year old boy. So far he is negative for signs of HCM.

Comment

Emily is on monthly Carelink, and we have not been instructed yet to change the monthly check.

Comment

I just went in last week for my monthly, and I go back in 3 weeks. I was not told anything different. They also put my alarm on, still have me come in monthly.

Comment

I'm seen at Toronto General in Canada. I was last in to the ICD clinic in December. Both my brother and I have the recalled Sprint Fidelis leads.

Since that time, our cardiologist said that we could go back to having regular 6 month check-ups. He said that enough people with the leads have been seen and monitored for lead fracture that he is confident the fracture prevalence rates reported by Medtronic are correct, and the risk does not warrant further, frequent follow-up. He told me that the regular leads have a 1% fracture rate and our leads have a roughly 2% rate - and the patients screened in Canada confirm that rate.

I guess it's all in how you look at it. As a scientist and researcher myself, 2% doesn't seem like a big deal...at the same time, some people might see it as double the risk of the normal 1%...

As for the alarm. Since I had the ICD implanted in 2005 I was told the alarm is active. If something is wrong, it will sound everyday at a prespecified time. Is this what everyone else is talking about? They test the alarm pretty much everytime I visit the ICD clinic, ask if I want to change the time at which sounds. I just figured this was a normal preventative measure, so that if anything is wrong, I know to get to a hospital ASAP.

Comment

Are these leads just for folks who have ICD's. What about those of us with pacemakers? Do I need to check something or ask my Dr. something about leads.

Bucky
              Diagnosed in June 2007, Pacemaker Oct 2007, Myectomy in Feb 2009 at Cleveland Clinic, Two daughters, both checked with Ultrasounds in 2008, all OK so far. Two grandchildren both check with Ultrasounds and all is OK to date. OH YES....Harry, the Doggie, says Hi also. sigpic

Comment

You have to look at your card and see what the numbers are.... they are listed here somewhere on the site, I believe on the opening page and on Medtronics web site. There are some who are pacemaker dependent and have had to have their leads pulled and changed out due to their individual risks and recommendations by their docs.

Biokemkid...yes those alarms are what we are talking about. My EP as well as some others also felt from the beginning of this whole thing that an alarm was all that was needed and the regular scheduled q 3 month checks by care link or in the office.
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I had my quarterly follow-up with the transplant doctor a couple days ago, and we asked about the change in procedure. He said pretty much what Biokemkid said...
                  Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

Working...
                  X