If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rollercoasters???

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

LYNZIE im a very bubbly down to earth person Find out more about LYNZIE
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rollercoasters???

It amazes me the differences in opinions between doctors on this subject. I have HCM w/an ICD and I have been cleared for rollercoasters, working out (with moderation), and even scuba diving. This clearance is from the docs at Mayo and Loyola.

I agree with the prior post that there are plenty of things one could do at Disney. They have a cool hang glider ride (forget the name) where you feel like you are riding a hang glider (that may be at Epcot). Most of the rides at Magic Kingdom are very tame (exception Space Mountain). Maybe the Everest Roller Coaster (At the Animal Park) might be on the list.

I don't know your daughters specific condition, gradient, history, etc... So I don't want to be the one saying go for it. NO RIDES sounds a little too conservative. I would be curious if this stipulation is for all of his patients with HCM. If so, then get a second opinion.

My 2 cents....

Dave

Comment

I loved that hang glider ride! I rode it at Disney's California Adventure. The smells were so realistic.
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Thank you for the info..."Soaring Over California" is her favorite, yes we'll do that for sure.
        Her Dr is a general cardiologist and has always taken a very conservative approach to all her activities eventhough she's really doing well with just Atenalol currently.
        She wants to do the California Screamin rollercoaster (i.e. upsidedown) and Space Mtn as well. <sigh> I too had heard that Small World is getting a face lift...the boats were doggin' cause America is fatter than it was 20 years ago.

Comment

I was so glad you posted this. Coasters are my life! I had literally grayed out at six flags magic Mountain & knew something was wrong. If I were you. I'd stay away from the major ones (speed, acceleration, g-force). but the ones that make you smile & make you laugh are OK.
          Marc
          Diagnosed @ 48
          Saw Dr. Michael Debakey @ age 5 - "He's fine, just a little noisy"
          Father to 3 boys 22, 25, 29 (all currently clear - pending genetics)
          AICD - Valentines Day '08, Spark Plug replaced 11/14
          After much research, I had a Myectomy @ Mayo for my 50th Birthday '08
          Quietly going insane . . .

Comment

I hope you and your daughter have a great time!
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

This doesn't apply to your situation since your daughter doesn't have an ICD, but I'm linking it here so other people don't have to hunt for it in case they're curious. This is the statement I received from Disney Guest Communications about linear induction motors and medical devices:

http://www.4hcm.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10030
              Originally posted by djc94509 View Post
              Her Dr is a general cardiologist and has always taken a very conservative approach to all her activities eventhough she's really doing well with just Atenalol currently.
              I was diagnosed at age 21, and my cardiologist did the same with me. She coddled me and put me on all sorts of restrictions and insisted I apply for disabled parking privileges, among other things. And yes, she said absolutely NO thrill rides. I bought into it at the time, adopting a "poor, poor me" attitude about it all that I carried into my 30s. I did as little as possible physically, under the fear and worry I would be doing myself harm if I did.

In '03 my symptoms ramped up significantly, and to make a long story short there, I'm in the "lucky" small percentage of those who wind up in HCM end-stage. I've been on the transplant waiting list since December '05, but I'm on inactive status at this time because my condition is quite stable. Ironically, I am more physically active, and I think I am in the best shape I've ever been in my adult life. I just turned 40. If I can stay at this level of health for the rest of my natural life, I will be OK with that. Transplant is a very undesirable option to me at this time.

I decided a few years ago that living a life of unquestioned restriction was not the way I wanted to live. There are things I want to do and experiences I want to enjoy. The key is to weigh those restrictions against the risks and the knowledge of my own limitations, but you have to be honest with yourself as well. I just wish I'd come to this realization (and had better treatment) at a younger age.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but I feel very strongly about it. I don't like to see anyone blindly depriving themselves of enjoyment just because one doctor "said so."

I hope you have fun at Disneyland. I'm going in October, and you can bet I'll be riding Space Mountain and California Screamin' -- as I have for several years now.

(I'll skip the Tower of Terror, though. It kills my back!)
              Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

Thanks for the detailed info from Disney World.

I have to laugh. I think there are more powerful motors that they are describing in every day elevators!

I went to Cedar Point last year and went on every roller coaster there with exception of the Dragster. No one would go on that with me! Too long of a line to make people wait.

We are going again this year. This time I am dragging my wife on it!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X