If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rollercoasters???

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

LYNZIE im a very bubbly down to earth person Find out more about LYNZIE
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rollercoasters???

hello everyone,
    i have another qusetion that i wonder if anyone can answer for me.
    Im going to LA soon, my mom is taking me to Disneyland, Universal Studios and California Adventure for a late birthday present. Im SOOOO excited.
    I asked my family doctor if i was allowed to go on rides while im there and he said YES OF COURSE U CAN. Im starting to wonder if he took my defibrilator into count. I know that people with defibs are supposto stay away from large magnets so im not sure if for instance the big rollercoasters are safe.....some of them have magnets i think....haha.
    So anyways i was just wondering if anyone with an ICD has been to an amusment park or anything and been on rides and how it went.....and also if its safe. Thanks for listening
    ~LINDSAY~

Re: rollercoasters???

There has been some debate over this one. The large magnets can affect the ICD, and the extreme gravitational forces can cause problems like making you faint. That said, many here have went to amusement parks and had a great time riding everything without problems. I hope someone else can answer you more clearly. You can also use the search function about rollercoasters and see what others have said in the past.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi Lynzie,
      I can answer the Disneyland/California Adventure question because I was just tortured there in August. There are rides that are listed as not recommended for visitors with heart conditions, for me it was torture because they happened to be all of the rides that I LOVE. If you choose to ride on those rides the park will not be legally responsible if say your ICD fires, or you pass out. I know me if I was not with my mother and son I would have still gotten on those rides because for me it is not a heart racing ordeal. It is a personal decision...have fun but be safe.

You'll love LA I am there every two years.

Nikki
      ------
      "I will live each day with the love and help of my family and friends."

Diagnosed w/ HOCM Feb. '05, ICD April '05, Myectomy Dec. 13th, 2005 at NEMC
      Wire fractured, ICD and wire replced on 10/17/2008.
      Adopted in 1979, no medical history passed on other than born with a murmur and leaky valve.
      Married 9 years to the greatest husband that a woman could want.
      Mother to a wonderful 9 year old boy. So far he is negative for signs of HCM.

Comment

As a Disney Castmember I have ridden just about every ride. The only one I stay away from is rockin roller coaster here in orlando. Be advised that eveything at Disney that moves has a warning sign that says, " guests that have, heart, back, neck, are expectant mother, or have any other helth problem that could be affected should not ride this attraction" This is even found on the carousel and its a small world. so it gives no true indicator. I think the bottom line is if it is not directly propelled by magnets then it is your choice.

Mary S.

Comment

thank you for all your input on the rollercoaster matter.
          I have riden scary rides and rollercoasters my whole life and have been on a rollercoaster a couple months after i was diagnosed with hcm(when i was 21) and everything went fine......hopefully it stays that way.
          I do have an ICD though so that is what concerns me the most.
          What exactly happens to the ICD when it is brought near magnets?? Will i have to get it replaced??? does it scramble the memory???
          And also how do i know what rides do and do not have too much magnets on them?? Is little magnets ok??? sorry for all the questions i just wanna be sure i dont mess my ICD up. hehe
          ~LYNZIE~

Comment

The magnets could make the ICD not work. In effect, it could turn it off for the time it's near the ICD. When you leave the area the ICD should reboot and be fine.

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

You can ask the guest relations folks or the Ride attendants. If they don't know and you really really want to ride ask if they can get one of the maintainance guys out and ask them if the magnets are shielded and how far away they are from you in the ride.

Mary S.

Comment

Lynzie,

A couple years ago, before I got my Medtronic ICD/pacemaker, I wrote to Disneyland Guest Relations and asked about the linear induction motors used in rides like California Screamin' and the Maliboomer. Their response to me was that guests and cast members do not come in close enough proximity to the magnetic fields to create a problem. If you do a search in the forums here on the term "Disneyland", I believe I posted their response here in toto.

I went to Disneyland this past October. Before I went, my ICD technician contacted Medtronic directly, and she was told that since my leads had been in for a good length of time, I should be fine as long as my doctor felt there wouldn't be a problem stress-wise. I asked about centrifrugal force, and I was told that shouldn't be a problem either.

I missed out on riding California Screamin', but I did ride Space Mountain (which I think is a more intense ride) without any problems.

The key is to be aware of how you react to thrill rides and know your limits. I know which rides shake me up (Tower of Terror being one of them), so I avoid them.
                Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

Just letting you know that my 13 year old son James had a myectomy a year ago and has an ICD. We got to Orlando Saturday and have ridden every roller coaster and ride at Universal, Disney World, MGM, Magic Kingdom, Sea World, and Epcot. He has done just fine and has not had one single problem. He is a kid and I feel his AICD protects. So we have had an awesome vacation that he truly needed. Janet
                  My son James, Age 18, diagnosed in January, 05. AICD - 4/5/05 at Tufts NEMC. Myectomy -1/25/06 at NEMC. Currently having heart failure issues. James' father and uncle both have HCM and AICDs. James dad, Carlton, had Myectomy at Cleveland on 4/10/06. James Medtronic recalled lead fractured 5/26/11. Had Biventricular Cardiac Resynchronization AICD put in on 6/3/11 Emory Midtown.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevil View Post
                    Lynzie,

A couple years ago, before I got my Medtronic ICD/pacemaker, I wrote to Disneyland Guest Relations and asked about the linear induction motors used in rides like California Screamin' and the Maliboomer. Their response to me was that guests and cast members do not come in close enough proximity to the magnetic fields to create a problem. If you do a search in the forums here on the term "Disneyland", I believe I posted their response here in toto.

I went to Disneyland this past October. Before I went, my ICD technician contacted Medtronic directly, and she was told that since my leads had been in for a good length of time, I should be fine as long as my doctor felt there wouldn't be a problem stress-wise. I asked about centrifrugal force, and I was told that shouldn't be a problem either.

I missed out on riding California Screamin', but I did ride Space Mountain (which I think is a more intense ride) without any problems.

The key is to be aware of how you react to thrill rides and know your limits. I know which rides shake me up (Tower of Terror being one of them), so I avoid them.
                    I had the same question in regards to linear induction motors. Thanks for the info. oh any word on magnetic brake systems?
                    Last edited by craqbin; 02-22-2007, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Hey, are you guys still in town? If so for how long? Unfortunatley for right now I'm stuck in the hospital but will hopefully be out soon. I would have loved to meet you guys! If yu get a chance give me a ring

Mary S.

Comment

Hi Lynzie,

I have a friend that works at Disney, I believe California Screamin rollercoaster is launched via large magnets, so you might want to check that out.

Comment

My daughter is 14 and Im taking her to Disneyland this weekend. she has hcm but no implanted devices, her Dr said NO rides. At 14 you can do Small World like ..what... once? maybe?
                          Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Comment

I would think there are plenty of rides she can go on. The main reasons rollercoasters are on the recommendation list of avoided rides is:1) The excitement and rush of adrenaline can make the heart do funny things; 2) If she had a device the strong magnets could interfere with the ICD's functionality.

I hope you and your daughter have a good time at Disneyland and she gets to ride a lot of the rides.
                            Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Originally posted by djc94509 View Post
                              My daughter is 14 and Im taking her to Disneyland this weekend. she has hcm but no implanted devices, her Dr said NO rides. At 14 you can do Small World like ..what... once? maybe?
                              Any suggestions would be welcomed.
                              NO rides whatsoever? That's crazy. How bad are her symptoms? Disneyland is about as gentle as you can get at a theme park. The obvious exceptions are the Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad rides.

She won't even be able to ride It's a Small World because it's down for a major refurb...
                              Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

Working...
                              X