If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My device beeped today!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

heather Find out more about heather
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My device beeped today!

I was cleaning out some things out of my classroom and carrying loads to the car. The last load was a pair of walkie talkie's and their charging stand (not plugged in) and my cell phone. I didn't even realize I had them propped on my chest over my AICD. Then, I heard it beep a long beep about 20 seconds. This is the 1st time this has every happened. Does it have something to do w/ electrical devices I had near my ICD? I feel fine and just had a check up 6 mos. ago and battery was fine. I've had it for 2 yrs. now. Thanks!
    Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Re: My device beeped today!

If you had anything magnetic over the device, that would set off the alarm. When you move the magnet, it goes back to normal.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Heather.

I would load up again and see if it beeps. Most likely it was the magnents in the walkie-talkies, but I would want to be sure. Let us know what you discover.

Peace,

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Heather I would strongly advise that you see your EP ASAP. The beeps may be nothing at all but also could be a sign that there is a problem with your ICD. PLEASE do not assume all is fine and it was an outside object that caused this... back in 2001 my device made one small beep - although I thought the sound came from an outside source it was in fact my device. 3 weeks later I went to my reg. EP visit and guess what... my device had malfunctioned and was inactive. BEEPS are there to get your attention and get you to the doctor to check it out.

PLEASE check it out.

Be well.
        Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Yes Heather, as someone who just had malfunctioning problems from a fried wire that effected the devise, I wish I had had a beep to warn me . I would have been more intuitive and gone straight away had I had a warning beep.

Do get checked.

Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Heather,

I held a speaker over my device and it beeped and scared the you know what out of me. I stilled called my ep to verify that was all it was. Take Lisa advice and call.

More likely than not it is the speakers in the walkie talkies but, better safe than sorry.

Virginia

Comment

Well, I don't know! I took Leon's advice and held up the walkie talkies again and and cell phone and no beep! So, I'll be putting a call in tomorrow to the dr. I'll let you know what he says! Thanks for your comments!
              Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Comment

I read your post the other day and at the time it was just interesting information. Yesterday, however, I think my ICD beeped. I am quite overweight and I heard a very quiet beep of short duration. Had I not read your post, I would not have even recognized the possibility. I am a member of an offleash dog park that is located in the electric company right of way. Four sets of power lines run through the park. I have had my ICD about 6 weeks and visit the park a couple of times weekly and have never heard this sound before. I will experiment today to see if it happens again. I may have to stop going to the park. I was not concerned initially because I thought I only had the ICD as a precaution since I have no history of rhythm problems. However, after my electrical storm last month, I found out that I was being LV paced 2/3 of the time. I presume the power lines would interfere with the pacing as well as the shocks.

I have had only one interrogation. Does the ICD also make a record of the beeps?
                Preston

Comment

Your ICD does record the beeps. The beep is there as a warning system and any time you hear it go off you need to call your doctor to get an interrogation. There may have just been some interference, but it may have recorded something it thought your doctor needs to know.

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                  3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I believe if I recall when I got my first, in 2000 they talked about not walking under high tension wires. You know the big ones. I used to always go walking down there. No more since implant.

Recently in our local news there was a story about a house that was just completed and they can not give an occupancy permit because touching anything in the house will give the occupants a shock. It is built parrallel to the high tension wires on the right of way. The electric company will not do anything to help the owner out because they told him in the first place that building on the right of way would/ could result in exactly this problem.

I am sure this would/could be a very shocking problem for any of us.
                    A very real problem potential.

Pam
                    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

My EP called tonight and had me do a carelink. His office is 2 hrs. from my home. They said everything looked good on the readout and that it was probably just an interference w/ the walkie talkies and the cell phone near the device at the same time. I just saw him at the end of Sept. and the battery was fine, so I don't think it's that. He said to call if it beeped again.

Comment

Heather that is great news, Let us know if it beeps again

Shirley
                        Diagnosed 2003
                        Myectomy 2-23-2004
                        Husband: Ken
                        Son: John diagnosed 2004
                        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Glad to hear it was nothing.

Reenie
                          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Heather,

Relief that it all worked out.

Pam

Comment

Working...
                            X