If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICD put in on Halloween

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Quincle My real name is Rachel, but my friends call me "Quince" or "Quincle". Find out more about Quincle
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICD put in on Halloween

Some of you might know me, but some of you might not.

I'm 16, and I was diagnosed with HCM on December 30th, 2005. It hasn't been that long since I've known about my heart condition, but due to family history, and recent persistent fainting spells, Dr. Maron at Abbott Northwestern Hospital thought it would be best to put in a defib.

They put it in on Halloween, which was just a week ago, and most of the swelling has gone down. Right now I'm not as worried about the scar as I am about the device sticking out and being visible. They put it in under the muscle, but as of now it sticks out and you can see the device perfectly.

What I'm asking is.... Is it just swelling, or will it always stick out like it is right now?

Re: ICD put in on Halloween

Quincle, I had mine put in last december and it sticks out. to be honest it still hurts!! but i have three kids jumping on me at all times. I dont like it either but I wan't to see my kids grow up!!!! it will be alright and everyone on this website will help you get through this. P.M me with any questions you may have? I have already had a myectomy too. timmyd

Comment

Quincle,

Some of the positioning is dependant of whether or not a deep pocket was created. This second one for me sits outward also. I had thought it would shrink more .. it did not. My first EP put it in deep, this EP had trouble getting that one out . I think if it is more superficial less deep scar tissue occurs and it of course is more accessable to them should there be a need. I do think every EP has a style and technique that they prefer.

Sorry this is something you have to go through and at a young age.. we're here for you.

Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

My device is under the muscle, and you can't even tell it is there. This is my second device and both of them have been very well hidden. Maybe I have more meat up there than you, but I would have to say that it was pretty well imbedded since the implantation.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

My device was put in under the muscle. I had a choice as to wheather the pocket was made under the skin, or under the muscle, and I chose muscle thinking it would be less visible. I've been told by others that I am quite small, even though I personally don't think so. I'm 5'5, 120lbs. I suppose this might be small to some.

I could call the doctor who put in my device and ask his thoughts since it is an annoyance to me. If I stand with my shoulders back, you can see the entire outline of the device. I'm very self-conscious of it. It might just be because of my age though too! Afterall, I am only 16...

*~*Rachel*~*

Comment

Hi Rachel:

Was Dr. Almquist the one who performed your surgery? I got my ICD at Abbott NW in October last year. My procedure was a little more dramatic than yours, though.
            Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

Yes, Dr. Almquist was the one who performed my surgery. He's a nice guy. : ) My cardiologist is Dr. Maron though. I'm lucky to be working with both of them.

Comment

Yep, Dr. A. is a nice guy, and I liked his staff.

My ICD/pacemaker is bi-ventricular, requiring three leads, and he had difficulty placing the third one through the usual means. I had to have what's called a thoracotomy to place the third one, so I was in the hospital for several days.

I'm seeing Dr. Maron on an ongoing basis, but my actual care is managed by one of the other cardiologists on staff because I'm on the transplant list. Who knows, maybe we'll run into each other...
                Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

If time flies when you're having fun, will I age faster at Disneyland? -- Joel Perry

Comment

I love the name of this thread! Maybe you can name your ICD "Boo" and tell him to behave and never give you a big "Boo" unless you really need it.

Seriously, I think everyone is different about whether these stick out and how much. Mine turned sideways in my pocket when I was reaching around behind a computer a couple of months ago. It stuck straight out and hurt like the dickens, but I firmly told it to behave itself and pushed it right back where it belonged, causing the pain to decrease immediately. But it continued to hurt for a month or so whenever I moved my arm too much. I mentioned it recently to the doctor who put it in and he said basically, "It happens." He said that sometimes the pocket will have to be surgically tightened if this happens too often. I doubt that yours has turned sideways, but maybe you should call the doctor and ask him to check.

Rhoda

Comment

Hi Quincle,

The good news is the device is there in the event anything happens. If it shows so what.

I had mine implanted 2.5 years ago. It shows quite well. Today being in v-tach I feel safer knowing it is there. My brother died from HCM in 1989, due to sudden death. He was not afforded the benefit of an implanted device at that time. Sadly you are too young to have such a reality check. Thank God, for our Medical Proffessionals and the advancement of technology.

Your a very pretty teenager. Don't sweat the small stuff. Live, laugh and be happy.

Virginia

Comment

Mine doesn't really show the whole outline but it does poke out right at the scar, which is quite annoying. I think it is a piece of relatively sharp plastic where the leads attach, and it is not well rounded like the rest of the device. I want to give the Medtronics tech an earful on my next interrogation - why can't they smooth that out?!?! I asked and they said mine is under the skin.
                      First major HCM symptoms at age 50
                      ICD 6/06

Comment

Working...
                      X