If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

respiratory arrithmia ?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

giovy_65 Find out more about giovy_65
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• respiratory arrithmia ?

Hello everybody,

it's a long time since I last visited the HCMA forum, you know, sometimes you try not to think about HCM all the time... now I just wanted to know how much I am supposed to worry following my son's last visit. They said my 3 year son showed almost no gradient at all at the echo, which sounds very good, but the ECG revealed something like a "respiratory arrithmia", so the cardiologist prescribed that my son carries a Holter for one day rather sooner than later in order to detect... what ?
    That's what I want to ask you. What is a "respiratory arrithmia" like and what consequences might entail ? What might the cardiologist be looking for ?
    Thank you for your helping.

Giovanni from Rome (Italy)

Re: respiratory arrithmia ?

I am not sure what they mean by that term and there may also be some translation issues with this for us here in the USA.

Ask the doctor what kind of rythm they saw - was it tachy or brady (fast or slow) and how long did it last.

Best wishes,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Sometimes small children's heartrates will vary with whether they're breathing in or out. That might be what they're talking about.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Giovanni,

They are most likely talking about how a childs heart will speed up and then slow down at times with the breathing patterns. This is very common in children. It's called sinus arrythmias or respiratory arrythmias. The holter will show them if this is normal or abnormal. We will keep ya'll in our prayers.

God Bless!
        Sherry
        tommysgirl wishes you a blessed day with many laughs and smiles along the way!

Wife of Tommy Hall passed 9/22/07
        HOCM, (AA x2, CABG, RFA, Myectomy x2, Maze)
        Tomy 13
        Amber 25
        grandchildren Aiden 6, Maddie 4

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X