If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reading/Understanding Medtronic Episode Rpt for Son James

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Janet McClure Single mother to two amazing kids. James is 13 and has HCM. Emily is 11 and recovering from TBI. Find out more about Janet McClure
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading/Understanding Medtronic Episode Rpt for Son James

My 12 year old son was shocked twice last Sunday at 6:45 p.m. on June 19, 2005. I finally got a copy of his medtronic report. I am trying to understand it. Was hoping someone might could explain what the following numbers mean:

On his VT/VF Episode Report - It shows V. Cycle as 280 ms. What is V cycle and what does 280 ms mean?

Also he had several non-sustained SVT/NST Episodes. What does that mean. When it says non-sustained, I don't understand nonsustained what? One was 8 beats and one was 5 beats. It again says V. Cycle of 280 ms.

Also on the reports is shows certain beatsw and then shows the beast and as "No Match 58%, No Match 49%, No Match 42%, etc. It has it on there about 9 different times. Does anyone know what that means.

We are going to the doctor Monday morning first thing and I am sure they can explain it, but I was trying to understand it now. Thanks for your help!

Also, James had only walked up this hill twice. I can't understand why his heart would do that just from walking up a hill. He did say he had not drinked as much as he should have that day. I know that can have an impact.

Thanks for your help! Janet
    My son James, Age 18, diagnosed in January, 05. AICD - 4/5/05 at Tufts NEMC. Myectomy -1/25/06 at NEMC. Currently having heart failure issues. James' father and uncle both have HCM and AICDs. James dad, Carlton, had Myectomy at Cleveland on 4/10/06. James Medtronic recalled lead fractured 5/26/11. Had Biventricular Cardiac Resynchronization AICD put in on 6/3/11 Emory Midtown.

Dehydration is the most dangerous thing for an HCM'er, without a doubt! Please talk to James about water and how (literally) vital it is that he always carry a water bottle and use it when he his hiking or just out and about in the summer. There are even little backpacks with water pouches in them with a sippy straw that goes from the backpack to your mouth to keep your hands free (rock climbers use these a lot).

I can't explain all of the report, but here is what I know:
    "ms" is for miliseconds -they time how long the heart beat takes to happen because if it takes too long, you have big problems. This is NOT the same as beats per minute.

V means ventricle or ventricular. A ventricular cycle is the length of time it takes the ventricles to fill. I think normal is closer to 200, but don't quote me on that.

"Non-sustained" means he just had a few of those SVTs. Sustained means they didn't stop. SVT is supraventricular tachycardia aka atrial tachycardia aka rapid heart rate.

It is just a guess, but I know that the defibrillator is always looking for vtach or vfib and if it doesn't find a "match" then it won't fire, so maybe the no matches are the defib checking and finding partial matches.

Here is a pre-med outline of arrhythmias. It has a lot of medical terms in it, but it may help and I also recommend checking out nurses's cardiac textbooks for excellent help reading this kind of stuff.
    http://physioweb.med.uvm.edu/Cardiac...G_Rhythms2.pdf

Comment

Janet,

I know this has been a nightmare for you. Sarah has given you about as good of an interpretation as can be given, but remember, your doctor will be able to interpret and explain things accurately. As tough as it is to wait for the report, please try to focus on how well James is doing now. I hate to think of you fretting the weekend when you can now just put your arms around him, give him a big hug, and just be there for and with one another.

I know where you're coming from because I've been there too. I just didn't have to wait so long for the interpretation. I got the news via a phone call, sketchy story, etc., so I really do know how scary it is.

Thinking of you, Linda

Comment

Janet,

I do hope you get all the answers you need. Not too much longer to wait. May you and James have a wonderfull remainder of the weekend.

Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I am not sure just what the data you have posted means. Monday will bring answers. It sounds to me that he had a real event - however how serious the event was will be judged by the doctors. I am just happy to know that he was protected by his device and with all the concerns about ICD's it is a very good message for all to see...James may well have been saved by his ICD this week - thank God!

I will check in with you this week.

Be well,
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Going to Doctor Today

I took James to the Medtronic Tech here Monday. Somehow the people in Missouri deleted the episode off of his device. So I faxed the 30 page report to TUFTS NEMC and his cardiologist here. Dr. Link is gone on 3 week vacation and Dr. Marty Maron is out of the country right now. SO Dr. Ahmud, who is taking Dr. Link's place called me yesterday and said he felt that James was in VTach when he was shocked. Now he wants his device tested again as soon as possible. We are on our way up to Atlanta here in a few minutes.

I will be glad when we get all of this straightened out. I'll let you know what happens! Thanks, Janet
            My son James, Age 18, diagnosed in January, 05. AICD - 4/5/05 at Tufts NEMC. Myectomy -1/25/06 at NEMC. Currently having heart failure issues. James' father and uncle both have HCM and AICDs. James dad, Carlton, had Myectomy at Cleveland on 4/10/06. James Medtronic recalled lead fractured 5/26/11. Had Biventricular Cardiac Resynchronization AICD put in on 6/3/11 Emory Midtown.

Comment

I know you're scared of what happened. I'm so glad James had the ICD in when he needed it. I do hope that he's all right and that he isn't scared to death right now. Please update when you can.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X