If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing well after replacement of recalled devise

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing well after replacement of recalled devise

Hi everyone,

I am in fact doing well . Went in yesterday, they started at about 8:30 am ; thought I was going to get squeezed in , she did me first. My Ep saw me as she walked into the hospital through registration , tapped me on the shoulder and said , hi sweetie , you're a celebrity! She wanted to know how the New York times found me( HCMA-Lisa). She said Oh yeah. Well it seems while I was being deluged by the media in Boston , the RI stations were calling her. She discovered all the blitz while she was having her morning coffee monday with her friend and he remarked as he read the New York Times that Guidant was again in the news along with this woman who was having her defibrilator removed and replaced by a Medtronic devise. He told her she might want to look at the article before she headed off to work. She looked and said she gasped and all confidentiallity went out the window. "Oh my gosh it's my patient , Pam."

We made jokes all morning and I said if 60 minutes called she would have to go with me . She said," I'm there with ya."

It did not take long for word to spread that I was the person in the news. The medtronic rep was so excited he went to a computer and uploaded copies of the article and dispersed them about the day sugical suite.

These recalls have caused a lot of chaos for this particular arrythmia clinic. They at the clinic are trying to keep up their sense of humor as they field all the influx of calls and patients.

Well I was awake, wide awake for most of it. My doctor kept joking and said aren't you sleeping yet? She kept asking the anesthesiologist , "are you giving her anything? Why isn't it working? Is she preparing for another interview?" Finally they had to really snow me so they could test the new devise. Next thing I was awake and they were stitching me up.. My EP feels that it may be my hemodynamic forcefully pumping heart that might reqiure me to suck in so much anesthesia with minimized effects. She feels they give doses that seem high to them as clinicians and low pumping heart patients but are small to an HCM heart. She said this high reqirement has followed me since original diagnosis. As I have no history of , pain killer use, alcohol intake or sleeping pill use, or illicit drugs, it is the only option. She also said when I woke up the first time I tried to get off the stretcher. She said ," you must have been trying to get another interview in." She is funny!!!

I felt ready to go 1 hour after the start , but of course , they made me ride the stretcher and lie in recovery for one more hour. They wanted to wheel chair me out, I walked. Out of there 3 hours total treatment.

Will be lying low resting arm and recovering. It is soar, no showers for a week... yuck , yuck!!!! Dressings daily for a week and Keflex 3 times a day, times 3 days. I return there in 1 week.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Pam,

Glad to hear everything went well for you yesterday. It actually sounds like it was a somewhat relaxing and even comical atmosphere during the prodecure which is always nice and sets the patient at ease. It's so cool that you have been the focus of media attention lately and are able to do so much to bring these issues to light.

Take care, and let me know when you'll be going on Leno... I'd like some autographs please.

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Pam,

Glad to hear you are feeling well and resting at home. Best wishes with the new device. One more thing......can I get your autograph???

Take care,

John
      41 years old. Diagnosed with HOCM in Feb 2005. Myectomy at Mayo on June 8, 2005

Comment

Pam

How many autograghs did you sign? Take it easy and i hope you feel better soon and remember to keep your arm down

Shirley
        Diagnosed 2003
        Myectomy 2-23-2004
        Husband: Ken
        Son: John diagnosed 2004
        Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Pam,
          Great to hear you are doing well! You remain in my prayers for a continued speedy recovery.

Love and Blessings come to you from all corners of the world!
          Sharon

Comment

Pam,

Glad to hear you doing well.

I picture the street in front of your house...
            News trucks everywhere. Police barricades.......

Stuart & Barbara
            Cleveland Myectomy Club
            August 31, 2004

Comment

Pam.

I read with interest your thoughts on why you needed so much medication to go under. In the past when I had my device tested I always felt it, even though I was "out". The last time I mentioned that and they upped the dose. I didn't feel a thing! I never connected HCM to that. Thanks for sharing and continue to heal well.

Peace,

Leon
              God Squad co-moderator
              Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Pam, Glad to hear things are going well - take care. You'll need your strength for followup interviews! Linda

Comment

Pam so glad it went well. It is nice to say I know who that famous person is. Rest!
                  Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                  ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                  Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                  Mom of Kaye.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Today is even better.

The remarks about the media are funny. The OR Jim was light and comical at times. ( the way I like it).

There have been follow -up calls from the media looking for me and deluging the hospital with inquiries( they thought I would be inpatient for a projected several days). Yeah right!!! I would love to continue to toute the HCMA but I have now been cautioned to refer all calls from all media to a mediator/legal representative.

Darn... Do you think 60 minutes will still call???

My best to all.

Pam
                    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

OPRAH! OPRAH! OPRAH!
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

My vote is for the Jerry Springer Show and let Pam duke it out with the folks from Guidant! Of course, being Jerry Springer they'd have to throw a couple hillbillies and a cross-dresser into the mix, but it should be fun nonetheless.

"Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

OH come on Jim. I'm from Arkansas so I'll be the hillbilly and you can be the cross dresser! I'd love to get a shot in at guidant too!

Wooo Doggies!

Mary S.

Comment

This is just so funny. Of course I envisioned Oprah and Stedman reading in bed and Stedman saying ,"Oppie do we know this woman :Pam Alexson?" Am I a dreamer or what? Yeah Gerry Springer , now that would be something!!!! Hillbillies?? Cross dressers. They'l think we are nutty.

Just to see for yourself how big this is getting... Go to the internet ; search engine and type in: Pam Alexson. There is more then I could have imagined there.

Try this one: Go to NECN, click on health ( left column)then scroll down right side to the video clips.... to my unmade-up face , no wardrobe or make-up for me ugh!!! Totally caught unprepared interview , done at NEMC in Boston on Monday. The voice probabably does not match the movement of the lips.
                            It is so unbelievable. Oprah come back from Engand( she's visiting Tina Turner) your missing my celebrity, !5 minutes of fame will not last much longer

Can you tell I am having too much fun???

Comment

hi Pam,It was so cool to see you in the paper.I checked and searched your name ,and your right so much came up.Im amazed how you made it though the aicd replacement.you are a lot tougher than me.Im scared in the dentist chair.speedy recovery.when I was a kid their was a saying parents would tell kids."your getting a bath once a week whether you need one or not."so stay in the a/c,and hopefully this week will pass quickly with as little discomfort as possible.ps you are officially the only famous person I know.take care mike
                              One day at a time.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X