If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Tired After Implant

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

heather Find out more about heather
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Tired After Implant

I had my new AICD implanted Monday. The only concern was that my potassium level was a little low before surgery, so I had to drink this orange drink, but they didn't test it again and I went back for surgery. My potassium has never been low before. I'm wondering if I need to take some supplements or something!? Everything went well and I got to come home that night. They turned my low heart rate down from 70 to 55, so that my normal sinus rhythm could beat on it's own. The pain and tightness from surgery has been better today. My only complaint is that I'm sooooooo tired. All I've wanted to do the past two days is sleep. I sleep a good portion of the day and all night. I just feel so sluggish! I guess I was expecting to bounce right back. Is this normal or should I call my doc? They didn't change any of my meds or anything. I have a blood pressure machine at home and my bp is normal at 108/63, with a pulse of 68. Thanks for any advice!

Heather-32-HCM
    Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Hi Heather,

I had my ICD replaced a couple of weeks ago. I had the implant on Friday, and stayed in the hospital until Sunday having a med change. I was very tired on Saturday since I hadn't really slept on Friday night, was o.k. on Sunday, tired on Monday and took a nap on that day, but was back to work on Tuesday. I would give it a couple of more days, and if you aren't better by the end of the week I would call.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Give yourself a few more days to get that energy back. 4 days is normally the charm.

Take it easy for the next few days.

Be well,
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Heather, you might want to check the potassium level again. I do hope you see great improvement soon, but the meds for the procedure will drag you out for a while. Please keep us posted, best wishes, Linda

Comment

Heather.

Recently a friend of mine had a lead fracture and needed to have it replaced. He mentioned to me that he was so wiped afterward. He thought it was because he is older than when his device was placed. Who knows?

I trust you will feel tanked up and ready to roll soon.

Leon

Leon
          God Squad co-moderator
          Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Hi - When i had my leads relaced - i was fine after the first day - then day two they put me under again to test - i was groggy and tired for days after the second one... I put it down to the type of anesthetic they used....

Comment

I was pooped for about two days afeter my implantation. After you're back up to speed, the worst part is trying to not lift your arms above your head for a month.

Comment

Does anyone still have a high heart rate even with the pacemaker....

I had my Guidant pacemaker put in on Feb 24, 2004 and I am still having heart rates of 100 plus. It stays around 100-116 most of the time and if I get upset about something it will even go higher. I called Guidant as I was thinking that maybe it was malfunctioning or something and they were not at all helpful.. My blood pressure has been pretty good but like the heart rate I sometimes have problems with it also. I am concerned about that heart rate thing is my pacemaker working or not.

Can anyone tell when it is working? Maybe something I could be aware of or something?

Christy
                I pray that God will place his loving arms around you and hold you in the comfort of his love.

Comment

...not sure about the Potassium levels but I was definitely not myself after having my ICD implanted. It took awhile for the anesthetic drugs to completely get out of my system...and to feel normal again.
                  Pace Bene,
                  Matt

Diagnosed with HOCM 2003, ICD Implant on 3-3-05, Extended Myectomy with a Mitral Valve Plictation at St. Luke's in NY on 9-27-05

Comment

Is your device also and ICD? Most pacer/ICD's are set to pace if the heart rate falls too low, not when it's high. The exception are ICD's which are set to try to pace out of an arrhythmia before it delivers a shock.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Also,

AICDs aren't set to shock at lower levels because it can't tell if you are exercising or tachy. Mine is set at 220 beats per minute before it will do anything!

Mary S.

Comment

My pacemaker is set to kick in if the heart rate is lower than 60 and higher than 120. But I still have the feeling my heart is skipping beats and then the rate goes high and I just wondered if anyone else had this problem. My pacemaker is made by Guidant.

Christy
                        I pray that God will place his loving arms around you and hold you in the comfort of his love.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                        X