If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement date scheduled

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

heather Find out more about heather
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement date scheduled

I am set up for replacement of my AICD on the 21st of this month. That's the 1st day of our Spring Break, so I'll have a week off from school to recover. I saw the EP dr. who will do the replacement and he had a lot of questions as to why Mayo had some of the setting the way they did and he said my atrial lead was in a bad spot w/ made it pace twice as much as it needed to, which is partly why my battery ran down so quickly. he said that where the lead is placed it makes it pace the atrium and the ventricle. I don't know if all of that is 100% correct, just my take on it all, but he said at this time it's safer to just replace the AICD instead of my leads and we'll do that as long as we can. So, I may be looking at replacement every 2-3 yrs. for awhile. He also wasn't sure why I was paced 100% because he turned the pacing off and I had a normal sinus rythym at 66 bpm. So, I gave him the #'s of the drs. I saw at Mayo and he was going to call and get all of the facts before he made any changes.

Heather- 32-HCM
    Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Heather, Best wishes - I'm glad your docs are able to work closely together for you. Linda

Comment

Heather - I had mine replaced last Friday, and I was back at work on Monday. There was really nothing to it. It only hurt for like the first 12 hours after the surgery. I only took Tylenol for pain and refused the stronger meds.

Good luck.

Cynthia
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

My thoughts are with you Heather. My Dad had his replaced about 6 months ago. He beeped when the battery was dying! lol I kid you not!

God Bless! Hugs, Terry

Comment

Hey Cynthia,

That’s great to hear. I’ve been thinking about you and was hoping that you were doing well.

While we are at it, how is your dad doing? I am hoping to get good news on that score also.

Burt

Comment

(with all due apologies for hijacking Heather's thread....)

Hey Burt,

Thanks for asking...my dad is doing as well as can be expected. There was some thought that they would have to replace the entire hip and not just the ball joint, but when the got in there they were able to replace just the joint. The operation was shorter than my ICD replacement...45 minutes. He is up and walking with the help of the PT folks and may be transferred to the rehab unit of the hospital soon.
            Daughter of Father with HCM
            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Freaking hijacker's

LOL
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X