If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going in to the dealer for maintenance!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Cynaburst Find out more about Cynaburst
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going in to the dealer for maintenance!

Well, I will be spending my weekend in the hospital. I am having surgery tomorrow having my ICD generator changed out, and will be spending Saturday and Sunday as an inpatient starting Norpace. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me that the replacement goes well, and that the Norpace does the trick by reducing my gradient without too many side effects! I am a little nervous!

Also, my poor father who has been having tons of problems which all stem from his HCM had been doing great, and was feeling good after having basically been homebound, and yesterday he fell and broke his hip, so now he is in the hospital also awaiting surgery to replace the ball in his hip socket.

Thanks for your good thoughts.

Cynthia
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Hi Cynthia,
    Good luck with your tune-up and change of fuel. I hope it all goes quick and smooth for you. (I expect it will.)

As far as your dad getting a new ball joint – I know a number of people who have gone through that operation and every one of them has come back better off then they were before the procedure. It’s a shame they won’t let you share a room together – sure would be a great way to while away the hours.

Let us know how everything went for the both of you as soon as you get out.
    Burt

Comment

Good luck with everything Cynthia!
      Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Hi Cynthia
        There are some meds that doctors recommend staying in the hospital for a short period of time to keep an eye on you. I always felt better being hospitalized for that reason. They know what to look for and how to treat a problem should one occur.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I find there is alway something to keep us on our toes. Don't you wish you could go at least one year without any surprises?

Please let us know how you make out.

I will include you in my prayers that everything goes good.
        Esther

Comment

Cynthia

Wishing you all the best and hope your dad has a swift recovery, rest while you can

Shirley
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004
          Husband: Ken
          Son: John diagnosed 2004
          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Cynaburst, I hope all goes really smoothly for you and your dad both. I'll be thinking of you this weekend.

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dad - send him our best wishes for a fast recovery!

Remember to take good care of yourself - it is hard when we are worried about our loved ones.

Best wishes,
              Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Cynthia,

So very sorry to hear about your dad's fracture. I hope all goes well for him.

You too, hope you are soon looking as this as just another experience you had to endure. May the change up and med addition go smoothly for you.

My best.

Pam
                Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Cynthia, Best wishes to you and your father. Please keep us posted. Linda

Comment

Hi All,

Spoke with Cynthia today and she's doing great. The ICD changeout went smoothly and she has not had any noticeable side-effects from the Norpace. Her biggest complaint seems to be the butterscotch pudding at the hospital. I believe that she is at this very moment trying to have a hamburger smuggled in from the restaurant across the street.

I'm sure she'll post herself when she gets out of the hospital... just wanted to give an update.

Jim
                    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Well that is great news!!!!!!!!!!

Cynthia rest up and i hope your dad is doing better

Shirley
                      Diagnosed 2003
                      Myectomy 2-23-2004
                      Husband: Ken
                      Son: John diagnosed 2004
                      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Cynthia, that hamburger isn't from In N Out, now is it? I hope you and your dad are both doing great by now.

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Cynthia

I'm so glad to hear that everything, so far, is going well for you.

I've been wondering about your dad. I sure hope he is on the road to recovery. That will give you less to worry about during your healing process.

I'll be watching for a update from you hopefully soon.

Take care
                          Esther

Comment

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your good wishes! I am home now, having to wind our way home through the L.A. Marathon which is run in the streets surrounding the hospital (I thought about testing the Norpace by running the rest of the marathon, but decided against it as I can't shower for a few more days until the incision heals and I didn't want to smell too bad until then .

Anyway, the ICD implant hurts just a little. I haven't taken anything for pain relief except for Tylenol. No real noticeable effects from the Norpace. I wasn't able to have an echo yet to see the results, but I will call tomorrow to schedule it. As it turns out, I haven't seen or spoken to the partner of my EP who is overseeing it.

My father is scheduled to have a full hip replacement tomorrow in New Orleans. Apparently the whole joint was broken, not just the ball socket. My 3 year old son may have an ear infection, and is running a slight fever, so I may have to run him to the pediatrician tomorrow, and so it goes.......

Thanks again. Talk to you all soon.............
                            Daughter of Father with HCM
                            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                            X