If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New ICD/Pacer after only 2 years.....

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

heather Find out more about heather
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ICD/Pacer after only 2 years.....

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I had my ICD/Pacer implanted 2 yrs. ago (november) at the Mayo in Minnesota. It was the newest Medtronic GEM something.......I went for a checkup and a download today and got the shocking news that my battery life is down and the device will most likely need to be replaced in 3-4 months. I couldn't believe this. When implanted they told me 5-7 years if it never fired. It hasn't ever fired or shocked me at all. I am completely paced at about 97% of the time. The medtronic rep that downloaded my info. said I don't show any activity, such as VT or AF, but my thresholds are set very high. I think like at 2.5 and 3.5. I have no idea what all this means, but he said it takes a little bit more to make my heart beat w/ the pacer and this may be why my battery has drained so fast. The thing I find odd is that it was downloaded in May of last year and they said the battery life looked great and now 9 mos. later it's almost depleted........He said my charge time right now is 11 secs. and he likes to see it under 15 secs. So, I go back end of May and have it checked again and most likely make an appt. for a new iimplant. I'm in the shock/disappointment stage right now..........Any words of wisdom or insight to this situation would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Heather 32-HCM
    New Mexico
    Heather, 43, non-obstructive HCM, dx'd at age 14, AICD implanted 11-02, PVAI ablation done for a-fib and a-flutter 5-2010. 2nd PVAI done for a-flutter and a-tach 3-2014. 3rd PVAI for a-flutter June 2015, dr forgot to reset ICD settings and I went into vt and almost died, July 2015, July 2015-started tx work up, October 2015, put on list in Dallas and tx'd on November 14, 2015.

Heather

From what i understand with the fact that you are paced all the time like you are that is is common for your AICD battery to have to be replaced before the 7 to 10 year time frame i was paced at 100% for over a year and mine will have to be replace in a couple of years, hope this helps some and have a Guident

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi Heather
      Shirley is right. When you are paced 100% it does take more energy from the battery.

I too went to the Mayo Clinic/St. Mary's hospital. They do watch the life in the battery very close. There could be a chance that it will stay the same for a little while, but I know they have what is best for you in mind.
      I am 100% paced and my ICD had to be replaced 2 1/2 years after it was inplanted.

I was a little confused too when I had to have mine replaced, but then I want that extra protection.

Take care
      Esther

Comment

You've been given good advice. It's like having a flashlight. If you have it ready to use, but don't actually turn it on, it will last a long time. If you use it daily it won't take nearly as long for the batteries to give out. Best of luck with the replacement.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hi

Hi Heather - I had the same thing happen me After my first implant - it is not suppose to go that quickly - even when pacing full time. My first was set to pace full time also and it lasted about 2 years.. I never did really find out what happened - the morning of the replacement there was a medtronic's rep there and he indicated that it happens from time to time. Basically it is an electronic device which runs off a battery and electronics can fail....

The good news is that normally the replacement is a pretty easy procedure...

Vinnie

ps - I am just about the pass the 2 year mark on my current one and last checkup the battery levels were still strong....

Comment

My first ICD was a Guident Ventak AV - It failed me at about 3 years. My Medtronic GEM II lasted about 5 years (replaced for low battery)and now I am on the Marquis since October 2005.

This is part of living with a device. I look forward to the day when they last for 10+ years!

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Well that stinks, cause im paced at %100 and was looking forward to not having to have it done for a few years
              ~Wendy~
              Wife to Robert
              Mom to Sara (almost 16mths)

Hypotrophic Cardiomyopathy with ICD placement

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X