If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being Zapped

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

maryflynn Find out more about maryflynn
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Zapped

What up, I am 17 year old guy from Wisconsin. I had an ICD/Pacermaker implanted in me when I was 14. The Defib has never gone off and the pacer only pace's when my heart needs it to. My question: My doctor told me that if my Defib were to go off, I would be unconscious at the time ( unless it was an accidental shock). But it seems that in all these cases of people getting shocked, they are awake and conscious. Did I understand the doctor wrong? My other question: I just had a myectomy about 4 weeks ago. Does this reduce my risk of the defib going off (sudden death)? My pressure gradient was at 112 before the operation at rest, and after it was 25 at rest, but the guy said that would probably go down because of all the swelling of the heart after being sliced. please send some answers my way---peace

Hey-- glad to see someone else my age on here. im 17 and got an ICD implant last june. From what i've heard, you're right, the shock usually comes when you're conscious of it.
    ~janelle*
    \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Comment

hey nice to meet you. Do you have instant messanger or something? I'd like to chat some time.

Comment

I received my first and so far only shock 8 years ago. At that time I was unconscious.

Comment

The overwhelming majority of ICD's fire when the person has already 'fainted' and therefore you do not feel anything. Some people do have the device fire when they are awake but it is actually far more rare.

Best wishes to you post myectomy!
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thank you thank you thank you

It would suck to get a shock when you are awake so im glad that if it happens I will be out anyways. THanks for the reassurance..

Comment

You can check out www.zaplife.org to find out more people's experiences with being zapped. Most of those people don't have HCM, but they do have defibrillators for whatever reason.

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Hey again-- yeah i have AOL instant messager. My screen name is SuperNelly87... feel free to IM me whenever, im on quite a bit
                ~janelle*
                \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Comment

From what I understand, there are 3 stages. First it will try to pace you out, next it will give you a small shock and finally it will give you a big shock. I understand that you will be unconcious b/c you will not have enough oxygen in your blood. But I beilieve each stage had to be a certain BPM and so many v-techs.

Comment

Not all ICD's are also pacers, so the ones that aren't can't try to pace you out of an arrhythmia before shocking you. I do think that more people have combo devices, though.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

ICD shock

Well I have experienced 6 shocks in my 5 1/2 years of having the ICD and I have been AWAKE for each and every one of them.

I guess my body does not want to give in . My EP told me during my EP study 5 1/2 years ago I hung on for a long time (once they put me in A-fib) before I finally passed out so that they could shock me back into a normal rhythm. He said I was talking to them(none of which I remember) and finally told them I was getting dizzy and passed out. Said it took like 65 seconds compared to the man before me..only took him 10 seconds. I guess as we know we are all different!

All I can say is you feel it but it is over very quickly and I have no pain afterwards.

Julie in Cincy.

Comment

Working...
                      X