If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

got zapped twice

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

jujemendoza2002 Find out more about jujemendoza2002
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got zapped twice

Last night at home with my husband after a stressful night I got shocked by my aicd twice. I wasn't doing nothing, all the sudden my heart went out of rhythm and started racing so fast that I couldn't get a breath to even speak for help and layed back to pass out and my skin looked so white and blue. When I got the first shock, my husband was holding my hand and then we both jumped up fast, called 911 and got the neighbors to come for help, bout 3 minutes later after the first shock, I received my second shock after feeling my hearts rhythm change again. That one was more strong and my husband and myself got thrown back into the bed as my neighbors watched, not long after I was taken to the hospital, where I remained in a sinus rhythm until they released me. So on Monday I got some phone calls to make and get the guiant guy to come read this sucker. I am still feeling very weak and scared too. I just got my aicd replaced last month too, after riding on a dead battery, God must of been with me this far.
    Jen

Jen,

Oh my goodness! I'm so thankful you had a functioning ICD! However, I'm very sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Hang in there and rest as much as possible.

You will be in my thoughts,
    L
    Lynn Stewart
    HOCM 4/2002
    Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

JEN

Iam glad you got your new AICD it is doing it's job then, my son's has zapped him several times and he has had it since August and i always said the same thing about god had to have been watching over him

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

What did it feel like for him, getting the shock?
        Jen

Comment

Jen,

I'm so glad your ICD did it's job! Sorry you had to experience the shock, but thank heavens it was working.

It does seem providential, doesn't it?

Debbie

Comment

JEN

He said it felt like someone hit him in the chest with their fist and he also got very weak and tired he has got zapped 4 times last time he was standing and he hit the floor Doc said it hit him at 20 joules i hope that helped

He said it really didn't hurt as bad as he thought it would
            Shirley
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Jen,
              Sorry to hear you had to experience a shock, but like the others have said, I am glad you had it to do it's job!

My son Andrew was shocked twice on Dec 27th. He described it pretty much the same as Shirley's son. Andrew said it felt like he was hit inside his chest with a sledge hammer and he felt every bone in his body rattle. He was knocked to his knees. However..........he did not recieve the full power of joules zap. He was one level below that. He also said his eyesight went "black" for a few seconds following each shock. We called into his Card. and EP and did a CareLink transmission from home. They increased his meds and that was that! He was scared the rest of the day, but was back to normal activities like nothing had happened a couple days later.

Let us know what your interrogation shows!
              Dolly~
              mom to Andrew(HCM) 21 years old
              Diagnosed \'95 age 5
              Myectomy \'96 age 6
              ICD implant \'99 age 9
              First ICD shock (X2) \'04
              ICD replacement surgery \'05 age 15

*And aunt to 7 year old Kenny who had HCM and suffered sudden death in gym class. (2/20/87 - 4/6/94)

Comment

After the shock and I went to the hospital the ER did not have my ICD read and after watching me for a few hours they sent me home with no instructions, besides to return if my symptoms returned, is that normal? Also is there normally any driving restrictions after the shock? I have been feeling weak. I feel so stressed out, every-things going wrong at the same time. I am a lil nervous that it will go off again, but more glad it did go off, although I haven't had my device checked yet, I feel sure that it was a shock that I needed.
                Jen

Comment

Jen

I'm sure it went off for a reason, and the weakness is normal my son got weak for a day or 2 and it is normal to be afraid, he said his biggest fear is that it won't work when he needs it but you need to call your doctor Monday and let them know so they can get the reading

I hope you are starting to feel better, doc may increase your meds or readjust your ICD or both

Shirley
                  Diagnosed 2003
                  Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Hi Jen

I'm glad that your ICD went off to protect you. I have my ICD since 2000 and it has never fired. I can't imagine the feeling. I wonder if you were getting some kind of alert when you heart rhythem went wild.
                    Did you say your husband, too?

I hope you will get the answer as to why it went off. I'm sure your doctor is going to make changes.

Please take care and keep in touch.
                    Esther

Comment

ICD Shock

JEN,

I have been shocked 6 times in my 5 1/2 years of being the proud owner of my ICD. My EP feels they were all non-life threatening rhythms and has tweaked my unit a few times to try and keep this from happening. I still get the fast rhythms every so often but have been shock free since he changed the settings a few years ago. Now my heart recovers on its own usually within a minute or two. Don't get me wrong though, I will get shocked if the unit deems appropriate!

At any rate my experience is that I did not call 911 or go to the ER after a shock as each time it slowed my racing heart down immediately and within a few minutes I felt fine. My EP has told me as long as I feel fine and did not pass out etc I can go on with my business. After my first shock, I didn't even call the office after a shock anymore...just waited for my regular appointment, but again I felt fine. You need to do what your doc feels is best for your situation. Just ask him/her what they want you to do.

My second shock I was driving, felt the fast heartbeat come on..pulled over and waited for it to happen and then my husband took over at the wheel and we went on to our destination of Home Depot. How crazy is that. Guess I am just lucky that I feel fine and it does the job it was meant to do???

Julie in Cincy.

Comment

Has anyone had a shock form life threatening rhythms? I am just wondering, my symptoms were just so awful.
                        Jen

Comment

Shock

When I got shocked I was not very aware of my life-threatening rhythms because I got up the middle of the night and I just got sleepier---then BAM!! Because I passed out (either before or after the shock, I'm not sure), I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 months. That was far worse than any shock.

My ICD is also set to pace me out of arrhythmias and has done that several times. I can't feel it but it gets reported to me after my every-three-month check. The pacing is pretty wonderful. Those times I only feel the arrhythmias as "having a bad day."

My doctor definitely wanted to see me after my first shock--to be sure the shock was an appropriate one. Sounds like yours were. Now he says there is no need to do anything other than call him to report that it shocked me.

Aren't these little things a miracle! It's so nice to still be live.

Sue

Comment

Mom got zapped

My mom and I both have HCM, and each of us have an ICD. Mine was put in May of 2004, and my mom's was put in June of 2000. About a year after my mom's was put in, her's gave her a shock. She and I were sitting in the family room watching TV one night, just talking, and I had asked her a question. I didn't get a response, so I looked over at her -- She was gasping for air, her eyes rolled back into her head. I yelled, "MOM! MOM!" No response. So, I ran and got the phone and called 911. As I was on the phone with the 911 operator was when her ICD gave her a shock. He whole body jolted, it was one of the scariest things I have ever been through. The odd part about this situation was that she didn't even know what happened. She thought she had just dozed off in the chair, but when she saw me reacting the way I did and when I told her I was on the phone with 911, she started to panic. Luckily neither of us have had a shock since then, but it's just good to know that a small little metal box can save a person's life.

Comment

Wow, what a story! I'm glad she had the ICD in place! It's a good thing you were with her, too. I'm sure you were both freaked out pretty bad for a while. I'm glad to hear that neither of you have received a shock since then.

Reenie
                              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X