If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICD Implant

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

baw578 Find out more about baw578
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICD Implant

My brother got one put in back at the beginning of Nov. His lower septum was in the high 30s low 40s. My middle septum measures 28mm. My doctor is recomending me for ICD surgery. I go for a second opinion on Wed. Dec. 22. This same doctor wants to see what gene in my family is causing this. I hope it goes well. I know he was in bed for a couple weeks. I have a good job that is very understanding though.

Re: ICD Implant

Do you mean he was out of work for a couple of weeks or he was in bed for a couple of weeks? Did he have complications? Most people with an ICD implant are sore and stiff, but don't need to stay in bed very long.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

He is a musician. I guess he wasn't in bed the whole time. Just a few days. He plays bass guitar, so he had to sit to play it instead of standing.

Comment

It would certainly be hard to use the left arm much during recovery, and that would make his job difficult.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

I get my ICD in on January 14th. The day after my 23rd birthday. Does this procedure sound wierd for a 23 year old with a 28mm wall? Does this procedure make clotting more possible b/c wires are in your vains?

Comment

It depends on what other risk factors you have, but it's not unusual for someone your age to need an ICD.

Reenie
            Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

My Son is 28 and has one and my great neice also has one and she is 17 so it doesn't matter how old you are her mother died from HCM so that is why she has one and i have one so they said they were not taking any chances they also gave one to my son, you take care and i hope all goes well for you

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hey-- I'm 17, also with a 28mm wall and i had an ICD implanted June 6th (when i was 16). i have no sudden death in my family, and nobody in my family has been diagnosed with HCM (although they are keeping an eye on my younger brother) I don't really have any other high risk factors, but the doctors really wanted me to have an ICD, partially because i am so young and active still. It's not bad, it gets annoying but doesnt get in the way or anything, even though i really am active still. its fun to freak people out with, anyway. HAH!
                ~janelle*
                \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Comment

All went well during my surgery. The ICD worked when they tested it. It has been two in a half weeks. It was so nice to be able to drive. I didn't realize how much of a privilage it is. I definatly recovered alot faster than my brother. I put in 32 hours last week and I'm putting in 32 hours this week. I didn't do any work my first week. St Jude was nice enough to give me two ICDs. One is in me and the other is a show-and-tell peice. It is deffinatly more comforting to know other people are going through the same thing. So noone out there is alone. The third day was the last day I took pain pills. I hate the way Lortab makes me feel. How do people get hooked on somthing like that. I didn't really notice any difference excpet trouble sleeping when it wore off. Thanks for all you're cares.

Comment

Thank you for updating us on your procedure. You sound like you did very well in your recovery!

Best wishes to your entire family and stay well!
                    Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I'm glad it all went so smoothly! My husband also got a show and tell piece. It's fun to see the looks people give you when you show them his "Zippo Lighter" and explain that it's in his chest.

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

go you! when i got mine they also gave me a dummy one, everyone said whoooa thats heavy how's it feel. i told them if they duct taped it to thier shirt, thats how it felt. i dont feel it anymore though. They just had me take tylenol though, over the counter dosages too. meh, whatever. glad to know you're feeling better!
                        ~janelle*
                        \"The heart swells at the magnificance\"

1 timothy 4:12: Do not let others look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Comment

It's been a while since I posted last. I went for my 6 week check up two weeks ago. The doctor was happy with how the surgery went and how well I healed up. I did have one episode or event recorded. The device did not interveign though. It just monitored when my heart got above 164bpm. They upped it to 167 as the monitoring point. I actually knew what I was doing at the time it happend b/c they gave me a date and time. I was carrying a tripod up some stairs kinda fast. I don't remember to much discomfort. But like I said, they were regular beats. At least I know it's doing something. I found that I have no obscruction. Yeah! Now all I have to do is do regular device check ups every quarter and doc visits every 6 months. He said eventually I'd phone in my device check up (my interpretaion, not his words).

Comment

I am glad to hear that all has gone well for you and that you have the peace of mind that a necessary devise can give you.

Keep in touch.

Pam
                            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Ok, It's been a while since I got on. I've been working out since April. The doc told me my choloestoral was 220 so I decided to change my eating and excercising habits. I've lost about 16+ pounds and 2-3 inches. Walking up stairs and walking in general is so much easier. The only thing I'm needing help with is know what is a safe bpm for excercising. I'm taking a cycling class and I don't want to hurt myself. I will be going for a checkup on Sept 22. It should go well. Thanks. Sorry I missed the metting in June.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X