If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hello

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bsmruffnek Find out more about bsmruffnek
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ise2425
    replied
    Re: hello

hey wsup kyle, my name is Steven i'm a 17 year old, junior in high school, cool 2 see someone as young as me here, hope u take care, i also got HCM but dont let it really run my life, its awesome 2 see that ur in college and can still be chill, goin 2 parties and what not.
    take care
    Steven

Leave a comment:

• Pam Alexson
    replied

Welcome to you. I echo the previous sentiments and add that I am glad I am not forced by a disease to make some of the very choices you face. It was very difficult when in college to not do what others were doing , I was no angel and far from perfect. I had many close calls and many symptoms , I was very lucky , I stopped competitive sports because I would pass out easily. I did not stop partying even though that made me pass out too. I just thought I had a poor tolerance.

Best wishes to you and good luck with all your decisions and choices . It is not easy being different from others, it is however an adjustment and a way of life.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• SharonBates
    replied

Welcome to the message board!
    What a brave soul you are to reach out to this wonderful group. HCM is definately a challenge and adding young adulthood and life choices to your heavy load can be a bit overwhelming...take it one step at a time and you will get though everything that faces you.

If you haven't already noticed, you are in the great company of some wonderful compassionate people. We are here to support you and love you just the way you are. When you are ready to make changes in your life style, we are here to love you and support you through that too. Take care and let us know how we can help you in your life.

Love and best wishes!
    Sharon Bates

www.AnthonyBates.org

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

Welcome to the HCMA!!!!!!

we are happy to meet you!

take care and I hope to hear more from you soon.

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• Reenie
    replied

Hi and welcome to the HCMA. Being a college student is hard, even without the added pressure of HCM. I'm going to mainly touch on alcohol for now. Some people have issues with arrhythmias when they drink, or even having a lasting effect because of drinking. The ICD is a good safeguard, but isn't foolproof because if alcohol makes you go into atrial fibrillation it won't help you. A-fib is something you can live with, but it isn't pleasant. Besides that, you know what the healthy choices are. You're an adult now. You can decide what you need to do as far as health choices go.

Reenie

Leave a comment:

• Largehearted
    replied

Welcome Ruffneck!
    You have come to a great place to talk about HCM. There will be many opinions offered and a genuine sense of caring for you. Perhaps the best thing will be the understanding of HCM that you will gain. I am sorry you have HCM, but welcome to our family.
    Peace,
    Leon

Leave a comment:

• bsmruffnek
    started a topic hello

hello

hey everyone,
    my name's kyle and i'm a 19 year old sophmore at college in philadelphia. i haven't joined any discussion groups or chat boards sinced being diagnosed but i decided that it might be helpful for me to talk with others in similiar situations. anyways, i guess a quick summary... i was diagnosed when 17 right before senior year in high school. i never had any symptoms beforehand even though im high risk because of my thickness of over 3.0 centimeters. my family and i decided the icd was the only real option so i got it in november of 2002 only to have it taken out four weeks later for infection. after a week in the hospital and two more with an iv 24/7 i had the surgery again in late january. since then everything has been fine- it hasn't recorded a thing. although honestly i haven't let it affect me that much it has taken somewhat of a toll on me psychologically. i used to play sports competatively but obviously dont anymore. i try to stay active (on acceptable exertion levels) and get to the gym though in college sometimes its hard. there are two things which worry me though... i do drink and being in college ive found it hard for me to abstain (to be fair my friends and i were the partiers in high school). also i know its extremely stupid but ive been unable to completely stop smoking. i know its a terrible excuse but i tell myself im in college and when im out of the enviornment ill stop both. i also feel that the fact i havent ever had any symptoms or problems (besides the surgery) as well as the security of an icd gives me a feeling that im safeguarded. in any event thats more than enough for tonight... i just feel its good for me to get out and talk to people,and i hope to develop worth relationships... wish everyone good health and take care

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X