If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

qeastion

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Keith25 Find out more about Keith25
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qeastion

okay i'm a college studnet who has an ICD. i have been having problems with teh damn wrie rubbing inside of me. is this normal? teh doctor says it inplace with an X ray, but it never hurt like this. even after the frist couple of days when i just got it in. any help would be nice, i'm geting to the point where i want it out, unless they fix it. thanks for the help

Re: qeastion

Keith ,

Welcome to the Hcma.
    As far as the wire rubbing , I am not sure why you are feeling that.

How long have you had your AICD? How active are you ? and Did you restrict your arm movement for a period of time following implant to allow the healing process and anchoring to occur? One other thing , are you seing your electrophysiologist about this or talking to your general doctor?

It sounds like there is definitely a problem as there should not be that kind of discomfort. There are the occasional weird feelings but it should not feel like a wire is moving around. I wonder if perhaps there is a nerve being stimulated or a muscle that is contracting as a spasm.

I am sorry I may not have helped very much , but I do feel you need to investigate this deeper with your EP.
    Let us know what you find out. Others may offer some insight on this.
    Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I agree, ask the EP about what to do. My husband has an ICD and he's never had that problem. Hopefully someone else can help you more than I can.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

well i keep my arm still for the time. and yes i'm seeing teh EP when i go home in 2 weeks, till then they put me on a better anit-inflameitroy(doesn't help). and i have had my ICD for about 6months now, DR sadi ti was fun that it normal, but after having it go on for about 3 weeks i'm starting to think teh DR is wrong. but thanks for the help

Comment

Keith, it sounds like this discomfort is way out of proportion to what would be acceptable, esp if the discomfort is new. How far is college from your EP? Call your EP and let him know what is going on. You don't say who saw you and did the xray, but college health centers don't necessarily have the expertise to deal with certain complicated and less common situations. Don't wait 2 wks to talk to your EP if it's bothering you enough to keep the arm still all the time and be trying a second med for discomfort. Please keep us posted. Linda

Comment

well i'm about 3.5 hours away form my EP. and with the X ray, it was sent back to teh DR that put teh ICD in, he said it was fine. but my brother got an ICD in at the same time as me, same DR and all, yet he doesn't feel this.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
            X