If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metronic CareLink Monitor

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

angall Find out more about angall
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metronic CareLink Monitor

I was discharged today from St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester. I was admitted to the emergency dept. on Monday with congestive heart failure.

During the time I was hospitalized, I had my ICD interrogated and I was asked if I was interested in signing up to use the Metronic CareLink Monitor instead of needing to visit the Mayo Clinic every 3 months to have my ICD interrogated. After hearing the advantages of using this device, I said yes.

I was given written documatation explaining further details and it does seem to be beneficial in many ways:
    1. The device will interrogate my ICD and will send data to the Mayo Clinic.
    2. They will bill my insurance company $30 a month total for sending information to them unlimited times monthly (should the device shock me and I need that information transmitted and to transmit data to them in the same month as my 3 month check-up, they will only bill my insurance company $30).
    2. Thirty dollars is much less than what they would bill my insurance company for a regular 3 month interrogation.
    3. I will not have to drive 1 3/4 hrs. every 3 months for the interrogation.

There are two areas that the device cannot do, as I understand it at this time:
    1. The device cannot change any settings.
    2. I must still go the the Mayo Clinic yearly to make sure my ICD is working properly (able to shock me if needed, etc).

It is my understanding that the Medtronic CareLink Monitor is new. Of course, the Mayo Clinic would be one of the first places that would know of new devices on the market for cardiac use.

I must be hospitalized in December to have my ICD checked, so I will probably not use it until March 2005, but I am willing to give it a try.

Has anyone heard of used this device?
    Esther

Re: Metronic CareLink Monitor

I use the Carelink in addition to visiting my EP twice a year. I am interrogated by the Carelink 2 times a year, and as needed. I find it to be very easy to use, and much easier than running to my doctor every time my heart does something weird. My device is programmed to monitor and not treat arrythmias between 150 and 200 for diagnostic purposes, and I used to have to drive to my doctor every time something weird happened for an interrogation. Now I just go into my spare room, and send the info. and my doctor can see what happened. Very easy.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Hi Cynaburst
      Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Like I said in my prior post, it does have many advantages.

How long have you been using this device? Where did you get it?

Again, thank you
      Esther

Comment

I have had it for about a year. It was sent to me directly by Medtronic following a request from my EP here in Los Angeles. I think, but am not sure, that my EP might have been participating in some sort of a pilot program. He is a very respected EP who is involved in alot of research studies and investigative protocols with device manufacturers, and is a pioneer in the field of EP.
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Angall.

I too have used Care Link for about a year. It is a wonderful time saver. I alternate between office visits and Care Link downloads for my device. I like the fact that you can dial in at any time during a 24 hour period as opposed to being at the office at exactly 3:20 p.m. etc. I wish you the best.
          Leon
          God Squad co-moderator
          Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Wow! I'm so glad to hear that others have this device.
            After you send the data on your ICD, is the ICD cleared of all information or is the ICD able to hold it until you go into the hospital for your check-up?

That question could not be answered at the time of my discharge.

Thanks for your reply
            Esther

Comment

This is a new service and will be more common in the next few years. This is the same type of technolgy that has been used for years in pacemakers. I use to use s similar system to check my pacer every 2 months -this is obviously prior to getting my ICD in 1997.

These devices are great and allow fewer trips to the EP's office.

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I understand that the data is stored at the Dr. office until the next office visit. Thus for me everything is stored for 6 mnths. I don't know if the ICD is ever cleared out of data? Anyone else know?
                Leon
                God Squad co-moderator

Comment

Hi Leon
                  I know that when I go to have my ICD interrogated at the Mayo Clinic they do clear the data.

I guess my question should have been how much data can be stored? The reason for my question is I have been told that unless there is a problem with my ICD or I get a combination of shocks, I need not go to the clinic until my yearly ICD checkup. So that would mean that data would need to be stored for one year. I don't know how much data the ICD is capable of storing.

Thanks again for your help.
                  Esther

Comment

I believe that the data continues to be stored until the EP's office clears it. I have noticed that when I have gone into the office for an interrogation, it goes back to the last real office interrogation and includes any transmissions I may have sent previously, i.e. the Carelink does not erase any data...it just transmits it.
                    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

This info is a little confusing. I was not aware that info is ever totally cleared from the memory of the AICD. Recently I had had some problems and they went all the way back to implant to be sure the data was intact , it was. That was 2001. Maybe they are all different but i thought that was the purpose to store and record??? Oh well , sounds like we need to do a little investigating .
                      Pam
                      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
                      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
                      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
                      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
                      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
                      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
                      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

I also have been using the carelink for a year. I find it a lot less time consuming than going into the office each time we need to take a look see.

As for the way things are stored and wiped off I have no idea. I guess I should look in to it a bit. I sometime don't think to check into things if they are working.

I think you will like having the carelink and the freedom it gives you to do it at any time with in the 24 hour time span. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
                        Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

My device can hold so much data that they told me they never bother to erase it.
                          Leon
                          God Squad co-moderator

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X